Chapter 21: Fragile situations

Sirius went on the attack as well. I desperately searched for something in my backpack to defend myself poorly or hit any of the two evolved who tried to assassinate my man.

Sirius punched hard one of them, knocking him to the ground and making him swallow sand. The other had wanted to come on him, but he dodged effectively and kicked him. The first attacker was already on his feet and caught him to bite his arm. Sirius threw him against the sand and ran into the city's ruins. The men followed him. 

Apparently, they intended to fulfill their deal since they didn't even turn to see me. The evolved people took their fights seriously. I followed them, too, without hesitation for a second.

Sirius used an old streetlight to spin and fall to the man already close to him. The other passed by his brother and continued to pursue him. I quickly looked for something that could help, but Sirius ripped an old car's door and hit the man. He fell a few feet and stood with difficulty, shaking his head, obviously stunned.

The other EH hit Sirius, grabbed him by his shirt, and beat him against the car. I panicked. The rusted car dented deeper and deeper with each hit. I shuddered. I picked up an old twisted iron, and my hand was shaking.

The brother grabbed a piece of glass and approached Sirius.

"Watch out!" I warned him.

Sirius managed to kick the one who had him hitting the car and jumped right away, dodging the other man who had tried to cut his abdomen with the glass. The EH growled at him, and Sirius responded with a short, aggressive snarl of warning.

"What is it, Antares?" Sirius questioned in a mocking way. "Am I still too fast for you?"

So, Antares was the oldest and slightly more robust than the other.

"Shut, you insolent boy. I always wanted to kill you, so don't be difficult," Antares replied.

His brother Apus stayed a couple of feet away, fully alert. The two brothers lunged for the attack again, hitting and biting each other while growling furiously. I had to decide what to do, and fast!

Sirius crashed into another old car near me, and I screamed, scared, running away. The two brothers were almost on him again, so he rolled onto his back, dodging the first blow from Apus, and rammed Antares, throwing him a few feet away. This gave Apus time to jump and catch him from behind, but Sirius spun around faster and hit him.

I was a nervous wreck, trying to hold the iron with both hands without shaking, afraid to use it and make things worse instead of helping. Antares bit Sirius' forearm before he managed to hit Apus one more time. Sirius hit him to escape, but soon Apus lunged at him, biting him on the ribs. He let out a short cry of pain and kicked Antares, trying to escape Apus's bite. Antares reappeared swiftly in front of him and hit him with the car's door, knocking him to the ground hard. I shuddered.

Antares hit him again with the door on his back, slamming him to the ground and preventing him from standing up. I opened my mouth in horror as Antares kept hitting my Sirius; he tried to hold back the screams, but the man was striking him so hard that it took his breath away. And also, to me. 

I exploded, "ENOUGH!" I screamed desperately and ran, preparing the metal piece. "STOP IT, YOU BEAST! STOP!"

I wanted to hit him, but with a single slap, the man threw me to the side. I hit the ground hard, and the pain shot up. I felt helpless, which was one of the worst feelings. Sirius reacted like a bullet, grabbed his attacker by the neck, and brought him almost to his knees, letting out a savage growl.

"How dare you?!" he raged as he squeezed his throat with his forearm.

The man struggled desperately, trying to stand up or get out of his grip. Apus went on the attack before his brother finished choking. Sirius endured his bite and didn't let go of Antares, who had his claws embedded in his forearms, trying to rip his skin to free himself.