Chapter Two

Two Years Before the War.

In November, Hermione Grangers fifth year at Hogwarts, she spent a lot of time in the astronomy tower. She would just stare at the autumn leaves, or the night sky for answers.

Her fourth year had taken a major toll on her. From the drama between Harry and Ron—to losing Cedric Diggory. Seeing him lie on the grass, lifeless was burned into her memory. They were good friends and she would often help him with homework if he saw her in the library.

This day, in the astronomy tower, she saw his face and could feel the warmth that usually radiated off of his presence. Thinking about him usually resulted in the feeling of not being able to breathe, and tears that she would never allow to fall. She bit her lip and tried to think of something—anything else.

Loud footsteps caught her attention and she quickly turned to see who was coming up the stairs. Her warm amber eyes met silver ice eyes. She raised her eyebrows, but they quickly settled. He thought she would yell at him, or leave. However, she just turned back to look at the stars.

"Granger," He said acknowledging her presence. She stayed still, which confused him. He took a step towards her.

"I-I don't scare you?" He asked taking another step towards her. She sighed and looked over at him, as he was parallel to him looking at the stars as well.

"Why would you scare me?" She asked as if she had been hiding under a rock her whole life. He was the son of Lucius Malfoy...someone she knew to be a deatheater. Not to mention, he has verbally tortured her since she stepped foot onto Hogwarts.

"Rumors spread. I'm sure you have heard them?" He said hoping for a reaction from her. All he received was a blank look from her.

"And? They're only rumors. If they are true...what is my buisness in it?" She answered honestly. She has always felt this way towards anyone she meets. She wanted to make an impression for herself. And although, Draco Malfoy did not make a good impression on her...she still searched for good in him.

He looked at her like she was not even real. How could someone be so accepting? Especially to him...He turned and went to sit on the steps to reevaluate his entire life. If she could be accepting, he hoped he could be the same and change.

"What are you here for?" He asked as she joined him on the steps. She sighed and did not meet his eyes. From his perspective, her life seemed great—perfect almost.

"Sometimes...I feel the need to get away. From Harry..from Ron. I just need time away from
them. What are you here for?" Her warm eyes met his and he felt his insides melt. He looked away and cleared his throat.

"Similar reasoning...I would need to get away from those oafs as well—," Hermione scoffed, but Draco did not miss the small smirk that played on her lips.

Silence danced between them like the wind danced in the trees. Hermione oddly felt at peace, and Draco oddly felt comfortable. He believed everyone was scared or hated him...but Hermione? Hermione doesn't seem to hate anyone. He would do anything to make sure he did not become the first on her list.

"Err, do you think you could tutor me in muggle studies? Mcgonagall said you aw the only person with a higher grade then me." He said dreadfully. His father reached out to Mcgonagall saying if his sons grade did not increase majorly, there would be consequences.

She looked and him, a small smile tugging at her lips.

"When?" The weight on his chest lifted. He was sure she would reject him—then hex him.

"Monday's, Wednesday's and Friday's?" He asked and she nodded.

"We should meet here, around 5 does that work?" She asked, unknowingly shifting towards him. He became tense and her eyes fell in disappointment.

"You're going to have to get used to me being around you, Malfoy." She said sternly, and when his eyes did not meet hers her heart sunk.

"Oh, I get it. It's because I'm a mudblood." She stood quickly and began to walk away. It was so embarrassing! She couldn't control her blood. She stopped when her hand was grabbed. Confused, she looked down to see Draco holding her hand—then she met his eyes. They were desperate and once he felt the electricity that seemed to course through her veins, he let go of her hand.

"Granger, I need this. I am asking nicely." He said and she stared at him, crossing her arms. He prepared himself for her to realize what an awful human he was and say no.

"I'll see you tomorrow." Then she left. He stood there, smiling like an idiot. After a minute or so he cleared his throat and went back to his cold demeanor, before walking back to his room.

++

Hermione checked the time and began to walk to the astronomy tower to tutor Draco. The entire situation was bizarre. He was being...tolerable. And wanted her to help him.

She walked in to see him already sitting, staring into oblivion. He looked to see her and began to open his text book.

"Okay," She said smiling at him. "Let's begin." He nodded and she began to go over what they learning.

An hour went by and Draco tried to focus on the information Hermione was presenting to him. But he could not help but notice, how beautiful she truly was. When she would chuckle at his pronunciations, her eyes would crinkle and her smile was lively. It was enough for him to pronounce them wrong—on purpose.

She was also very smart, and not afraid to show it. He appreciated this about her, because girls usually tried to dumb themselves down for him. He liked that she didn't feel the need to.

As they continued to meet, Dracos feelings for Hermione grew stronger. Hermione subconsciously began to develop feelings of her own—and would look forward to meeting with him. She enjoyed how she felt around him—lighter. And he made her laugh on days that she felt more glum then the others.

Maybe something would begin.