Chapter 1B: Friends

AN: Okay, so B chapters. These will be all about James Colt before the main story, so backstory. If you read the original, you'll already know what these are about. These are essential to understanding the character of James Colt, and why he acts like he does. 

James Colt, Age 7, Atlas, 3rd Person

"Daddy! Mommy! Why are their so many people?" James points to the crowd of protesting Faunus.

"Them? Its a group of people who don't like being bullied called the White Fang." James's mom explains. Jenny Colt, a panther Faunus, (Alright, quick genetics lesson! If you know much about RWBY, you'll know that when a Faunus and human have a child, the child will be Faunus, but it would make ZERO sense. So I interpreted it as the Faunus trait is a dominant allele, and the human one is a recessive allele. A child inherits two alleles per gene, one from each parent. Let's call the Faunus allele A, and the human one a. If a child has AA, it will be be Faunus. If it gets Aa, it's also Faunus. The only way it can be human is if it gets a double recessive, aa. In order for James to be a human, mom has to be Aa, while dad, a human, is aa. Using a tool called a Punnet Square, which is just a 2x2 grid, there's two potential gene sets passed on to the children, Aa and aa. Each set has an equal likelihood of occurring, meaning that if they had two children, James is an only child, it would likely be a human and a Faunus. Genetics lesson OVER) a tailor, and former member of the White Fang. 

"It's best you stay away... their hearts are in the right place, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions." James's dad sighed. 

"Henry!" Jenny yells at the dad. Henry Colt, a regular blacksmith and mechanic. How the couple met is... unimportant. 

"Sorry, sorry. Anyway, they're mostly good people, really. I know mom has some friends still in there." 

"Really?! Can I meet them?!" James asks excitedly. 

"You really need to meet some people your age..." Jenny said. James has always been an odd one out. He seemed to be more book smart than others his age, but not particularly street smart. You could usually see him sitting in the corner reading any book he could kind while others would smash toy cars together. 

"Oh, c'mon! Let the boy do what he wants!" 

"Being an outcast isn't what someone should want." 

"I don't want to be an outcast! I want to be an army man and fight bad guys!" James spoke up. 

"See? He's already dreaming big." Henry patted James's shoulder, and he smiled up at his dad. 

"Is that Jenny?!" A voice said from the crowd. It came from one Kali Belladonna. 

"No way, Kali?!" Kali came out of the crowd with her husband, Ghira, and a now six year old Blake. James hid behind his dad's leg. 

"How've you been Lancaster?!" Kali said, hugging her. 

"It's Colt, now." She holds up her hand, showing a ring. Ghira and Henry try to start up a conversation with each other, but it just fails and is awkward. 

"Oh, is that your son?" She looks over at James, who just looks back and scrunches his dad's pants in his hands. 

"Little James, yes. He's 7 now." After a bit, James finally lets go of his dad and walks to the two, but remains silent. 

"We have a daughter, Blake." She motions to Blake, who is holding Kali's hand. She's a lot less nervous than James. 

"Oh, isn't she just the cutest little thing!" 

"Of course!" The two trail off into catching up on the last 10 years, and it leaves a silent Blake and James alone. James works up the courage to actually speak. 

"Y-you're name is Blake?" 

"Yes." 

"O-oh... I'm J-James." 

"Nice meeting you." Looks back up her mom. 

"W-What do you want to be when you grow up?" 

"A huntress. I want to show the humans that we are willing to defend the world too." 

"Well I want to be a soldier! I want to defend Atlas!" 

"Why not a huntsman?" 

"Because soldiers are cooler!" James crosses his arms. Soon, an 8 year old Adam Taurus walks up to the two. 

"Hey! Get away from her!" He pushes James away, and this gets the parents' attention. 

"Adam!" Ghira shouts. Before Ghira can say anything further, Adam talks. 

"Get your human filth away from her!" 

"Adam..." Blake said meekly. In a strange busty of bravery, James speaks up.

"It's mean for you to think I'm mean. Not all humans are bad!" 

"That's just wrong!" 

"What about the people that support and fight for people to nice? Are they mean too?" 

"They don't exist!" 

"Oh yah! I think you're wrong!" James gets in Adam's face. 

"Then prove it!" 

"Daddy, I want to walk with them!" 

"James, I don't think that's a good idea..." 

"Hey... we can bring him home afterwards. He'll be alright." Ghira said. Henry sighs. 

"Fine... lets get going, Jen." The parents walk off, and the Belladonnas weave their way into the crowd with the three kids. 

After the March

The crowd has dispersed, leaving some small groups making small talk. 

"Alright, James, let's get you home." Ghira said. 

"Hey! Can I... can I talk to him?" Adam asks. 

"Sure." The parents give them some space. The three kids start talking. 

"I guess not ALL humans are bad..." Adam crosses his arms. 

"See? It wasn't that hard." James laughs, and so does Blake. 

"Look, I'm sorry. And... and I want to be your friend." 

"Oh, okay!" 

"Really?" 

"Yah! It'll be cool to be friends!" 

"Okay... what's your name?"

"James Colt!" 

"I'm Adam Taurus." 

"Cool! I made two friends today!" Now Blake and Adam are laughing, and James follows. 

"Alright, we have to get James home now." The parents say. 

"Oh, bye James." Blake said. 

"Bye Blake! Bye Adam!" James waves good bye as Kali takes his hand.