Chapter 3: Beacon Academy

It's the day before initiation, and students are flooding in the doors. I'm looking at it all from the room I was given, which looks over most of the courtyard. The day after the interview I was given the job. I look over at a massive explosion that I heard in the yard, and I run out with my sword without a second thought. I sprint down the halls, bumping past the occasional lost student and a couple of teachers. I get outside and weave my way through the crowd, and when I get to the site, it's just Ruby and Weiss. Great, it was for nothing. I sigh and relax, standing up. I walk over to the two. Weiss is about to yell, but I just get between the two. 

"Alright, alright, nothing needs to happen here. Just get out of here and we'll get this repaired in a second." Both of them stare at me, confused. 

"Why are you here?!" They both ask at the same time. 

"Because I'm teaching here. Now, get to the auditorium and listen to Ozpin, he's got some speech he wants to give. So get going!" I motion them along, and they just shuffle off, confused. I  groan and I pinch the bridge of my nose, kinda pissed off. I have no real idea what happened, so I'm pissed, simple as that. I look up at the crowd of students that gathered, and I address them. "Get going! Ozpin has a speech to make and he sure won't wait for you!" They all start walking off. I look at the damage, and I open my scroll, ready to call Glynda. I hear the sound of glass hitting the ground, so I look over. It... it can't be. 

"J...James?" Blake said, looking at me, dumbfounded. She's... erm, grown, a lot since I've seen her. 

"What... why..." I'm cut off when she runs over and hugs me, burying her face in my chest. I hug back. 

"Why are you here?" 

"I'm... I'm actually teaching... but why are you here? What about the White Fang?" 

"I ran, James. I ran as fast as I could." 

"Good." 

"Good? That's it?" 

"Yes, that's it! They're... not what they used to be." 

"I guess you could say that again..."

"What... what about Adam?" 

"Off the deep end. I could never imagine him doing what-" 

"Alright, I get it." 

"But James! He's not who he used to be!" 

"None of us are!" She's shocked by my outburst. "Look, I'm sorry, but we've all changed, for better or worse. Really, I'm sorry." 

"Maybe... but some things just don't change." 

"And they never will. For now, just get going. You're gonna be late." 

"Oh... sure." She walks off, but she does look back at me. 

"I wish some things always stayed the same..." 

During Initiation 

"You're a sick bastard, you know." I say too Ozpin.

"I can't think of what you're referring to." He said back, smirking as he took a sip of his coco (Not coffee, coco, look it up)

"Oh, maybe LAUNCHING CHILDREN OFF A CLIFF?!" 

"They're huntsman in training, Mr. Colt." 

"YOU! ARE! LAUNCHING! CHILDREN! OFF! A! CLIFF!" 

"They'll be fine." 

"Dear God Ozpin!" I throw my arms in the air. I can't wait until someone breaks their neck on the way down. I open my scroll and start watching  through the cameras throughout the entire forest. I frantically look through the cameras, looking for Blake. After awhile, I find Blake already partnered up with Yang. I sigh in relief and close my scroll, knowing that Blake is in good hands. 

"You may want to set your classroom up, Mr. Colt. Classes do start tomorrow." Ozpin suggested. 

"Guess you're right... well, I'm out of here then." I walk away and back to the main building. I unlock the door to my room and walk in. Whoever was here last left some mess... oh well. I start moving some random textbooks into a nearby closet, not needing them. There's no textbook for tactics, really, so I wonder why I have these anyway. I dust off the main desk and roll up a chair behind it. I have a chalkboard, but no actual chalk. I start making a list of things I'll need. It's not all too long, just some miscellaneous desk tools like pens and paper. I grab my wallet and head out to town. The airbus lands in town and I walk to a nearby general store. The back to school discounts are still there, which is nice I guess. I start grabbing my stuff, but I see a box filled with the type of figures that truckers would put on their dashboards. I look through the display, and one in particular that I find funny. It's an Atlesian Knight with a guitar swaying at the hips. I laugh at it and put it in my bag. I check out and bring my bag back to Beacon, setting up the rest of my room and putting the figure on my desk. I check the time on the wall. It's still a few hours until the team naming ceremony, so I take a seat and pass the time on my scroll, reading the news.