Chapter 4: A New Beginning

AN: From Now on, I'm putting a disclaimer on some of my chapters. I'm diving into serious themes, like mental illness and war, so if you want to stay away from stuff like that, don't read this book. And when I say war, I mean it's the real hard stuff and true horrors of it. Not "Killing bad peace and love!" I'm talking about what it's really like sometimes. That includes things like... 

- Death of friends

- Death of innocents 

- Needless suffering

- Another topic that I'll put in a comment because it kinda spoils part of James Colt's backstory 

- Chemical warfare

All that being said, this chapter is free of that, so read on! On future chapters with this disclaimer, I'll put a short summary of what happened so if you really want to read but avoid what I just talked about, you can still keep up. 

Well, the naming ceremony passed, and about a dozen new teams were formed. Three of them, however, seem to be actually interesting. Of course the four students I knew coming in are all one team, team RWBY, led by Ruby Rose. Team JNPR is led by a kid named Jaune Ark, who can't even hold his sword right. Then there's CRDL, a team made up of bullies and rich boys, led by Cardin Winchester. I walk backstage, ready to greet the new team RWBY. I'm legitimately excited to see where it goes, because a girl not even old enough is leading the team, not that it can't work, I sure did. They walk past the curtains and Weiss is the first one to reach me, stomping her way over to me. 

"Change this now!" She yells at me.

"I don't know what you're talking about." 

"I should be leader of this team!" 

"Oh lord, Weiss! You know I can't do anything about, and even if I could, I'd keep Ruby as your leader!" 

"You take that back!" 

"I'm not a good person, but I'm sure not a lair." 

"Why you! You should- wait what?" 

"What?" 

"Why did you say that? That you're not a good person?" 

"I'm a soldier, Weiss. I've done things. Things I sure don't want to talk about." 

"James... what happened to you?" 

"You should get going. I don't want to have to save you again." 

"I thought we vowed to NEVER talk about that!" She pointers at me, stomping past me. Ruby and   Yang walk up to me next. 

"Jeez, what was up with her?" Yang asks. 

"Ah, nothing. Just catching up a little." 

"Catch up?" Ruby asked. 

"We're friends." 

"So you want a sugar momma? Is that what you're into?" Yang elbows me, shooting me a weird grin. 

"Get out of here." I say, waving them off. Yang laughs and walks off, Ruby following. Finally, Blake walks up to me. 

"They can't know we know each other." She said.

"Why?" 

"Because then they could find out I'm Faunus." She whispered. 

"Alright. Now go celebrate. You've earned it." I walk off, back to my room. It's late, and I have my first class tomorrow, so going to bed is really the only right thing to do. I lay down and close my eyes, sleep taking over. 

"Put it down! ... Put it down now! ... NO!" A gunshot ends the nightmare. I shoot up in a cold sweat, panting. I stand up and walk to the bathroom, splashing cold water on my face. I look at my scroll and see it's 4 AM. I groan and get dressed, throwing my coat over my shoulder and grabbing my sword with the other hand. I walk out of my room, and it's dead silent. I walk to my room and unlock it with my scroll, walking in and turning on the lights. I reach down to a bottom drawer in my desk and grab some of the diet soda in it. What? Thought it would be booze? I'm 18, it's illegal. The caffeine wakes me up, and I start preparing the lesson plan.  I mean, it's just introductions today, so I don't have to actually have to teach much. After about two hours or so, I finish my plan, and other teachers start waking up and walking into their classrooms. Glynda walks into mine, looking around. 

"Are you not going to decorate? You know, those motivational posters with cats and cheesy lessons?" She asks, leaning against the door. 

"I guess I'm not in to that." 

"That little thing disagrees." She points to the figure on my desk. 

"I thought it was funny." I tap its head. 

"Look, I wanted to you to know that we're having a teachers' meeting after classes. You'd better be there." 

"Yah, yah, got it." I wave her off. She scowls at me, leaving. I guess she doesn't like me. After three hours, classes start. 

The class with the main cast, because nobody care about everyone else 

The second half of the first-years walk in, Include team RWBY and JNPR. They all take their seats. I stand up from my desk and walk to the front of the class. 

"Alright, I want to keep this short. My name is Professor James Colt, former soldier of the Atlesian Military. Any questions?" A few hands go up. I point to Jaune Ark. 

"Why'd you leave?" 

"Personal reasons. Ones' I don't intend to talk about now." I point to Ruby next. 

"Can we see your sword?! We never got to see it in Signal!" She asks, pretty much jumping in her seat. Weiss scoffs at the attitude. I sigh and walk over to my desk, grabbing Primrose from behind it. I walk back in front of the class, drawing it. A light hum of electricity is heard as it's drawn, though it fades quickly. 

"This is Primrose. The metal of the blade is infused with lightning dust, giving it the yellow color. That's all." I slide it back into the sheathe. All the other hands stay down. "Great, onto class."