Chapter 5: Hiding Secrets

"So basically, your end goal is to ensnare the enemy forces, leading to a complete wiping of their soldiers, or a surrender. Simple, in concept, but not in practice." I say to my class. It's about to end, and I think I did good, actually. Jumping from Signal to Beacon after a year is proving to be difficult, but I'm pretty acclimated, none the less. Everyone leaves and I check my schedule. Nobody left to teach. I take a seat at my desk and put my feet up on my desk, opening my scroll. I connect it to a small speaker I bought for my room and play my sweet, sweet country music. The mix of acoustic and electric guitar comes in, and the drums and bass follow suit. The electric falls to the occasional note here and there, the acoustic taking center stage. With that, the singing starts and I open a book to read. Soon, someone walks in. 

"Ugh, I've always hated your taste." Weiss said, walking in with her book bag. Soon, the rest of RWBY follows, Blake filing in last. 

"I get that a lot. So, what did you four come in for?"

"We got to talking, and we realized we all knew you. Even Blake here." She motions to her. 

"Something about knowing you from when you were in the army." Ruby said, forgetting whatever the rest of her lie was. 

"He was stationed in Vale for a month." True. "I met him when some random guys tried mugging me." 

"Sounds about right." I go along with it. 

"We just thought it would be cool if we just hung out and did some homework here!" Ruby explains. 

"Of course. Just keep it down while I work." I start texting. 

"That... doesn't-" 

"Very hard work." I stop the music.

"So... what was your time in the military like?" Ruby asks. Guess I never told her or Yang much about that. I throw my feet back on the floor and reach into the closet. After feeling around, I take out an old journal. I give it to Ruby and walk back to my desk. She opens it and starts looking through all the pictures in it. It's an old photo journal I kept, filled to the brim with old pictures of me and my teams. She gets bored quickly, putting it down. "I was kinda looking for the cool fighting..." I stop in place, and I look down.

"It's not as pretty as you think, Ruby." I say, keeping anger from getting into my voice. 

"Oh... any funny stories?" She asks, trying to recover from her comment. I calm down and face her. 

"I could tell you about how I saved her life." I point to Weiss. 

"No. You won't." Weiss stares me dead in the eyes. I just sigh. 

"Gee, way to ruin everyone's fun." 

"So you were her bodyguard?" Blake asks. 

"A few times, yeah. Whenever the White Fang would threaten her family... which was a lot, I'd be called over to act as a bodyguard to Weiss, and the General would act as her parents guards." 

"Sounds like a chore..." Yang said, who's just been on her scroll.

"Just about." 

"Hey!" Weiss shouts at both of us. I just laugh. 

"It's true. You were a bit of a-" 

"That's enough!" 

"Oh, phooey." I look back to my scroll. It's just developed into awkward silence, so I think of a way to get out. "Sorry, but I gotta go to town, pick something up. You can stay, just lock the door on your way out. I grab my coat, throwing it on and walking out. 

3rd Person PoV

"So... do we look through his stuff?" Yang asks the moment he leaves. 

"What?! No!" Weiss stands up. 

"C'mon, Rubes! You know YOU want to, he has been a bit mysterious..." Yang pleads with Ruby. She thinks for a moment. 

"Okay, we do this quick and quiet!" She said, whispering. She stands up, tip toeing like it's a cheesy action movie. Yang just rushes over and starts rummaging through his drawers. Weiss and Blake just stay back, though Blake worries about what they might find. Ruby shuffles through his closet, sifting past the dozen copies of James' long coat. Yang puts some journal she found in his drawer in the air, triumphantly. She runs back to the group, Ruby following. 

"Guys, this is just a plain invasion of-"

"No! Don't ruin this for us!" Yang shouted. Now Weiss had a bit of curiosity now. Blake new she couldn't budge her, so she gave up. She flips to a random page, and it's right in the middle of James' heydays in the military. Their curiosity is quickly dashed when they read it's mostly him complaining about chores and ponderings of stupid advanced battle plans. She flips the page, and Blake reads ahead, focusing on one of his longest entries. Blake reads it, and her eyes widen in shock. She snatches the book and shuts it. 

"HEY!!" The three shout at her. They see her face of pure terror, and they put on one of confusion. 

"What did you read?" Weiss asks, crossing her arms. 

"Um... I... T-This is an invasion of privacy! It's wrong!" She makes an attempt to deflect any sort of suspicion. It fails miserably, and Yang tries to snatch the book back. Blake refuses to hand it back, and puts it back in the drawer. She stands in front of the drawer afterwards. 

"Blake, what has you spooked like this?!" Ruby as forgotten about the journal and is just worried about her teammate. The rest seem to feel the same. 

"I-it's nothing! Let's just go back to the dorm!" The team drops the issue, though clearly don't feel like pushing it away permanently. The three leave the room, and Blake hurried out after locking it. 

Blake PoV

What... what else did he go through? I can't imagine living with that thought in the back of your head constantly... James... why?