songbird symphony

Harry.

"Don't go running your mouth though, I really like this one and I don't want to scare her off, man." I listen to my best friend doubt me.

"Don't worry about me, mate. I'll tell no one, not like I have anyone but you and Gemma anyway," I tell Mitch. He should know that I only ever talk to him and my sister, but she's back in England, so it's really only him.

Mitch has been seeing this new girl lately and he's really keen on her. The way her name is just mentioned and his face lights up is enough to make me wish I actually had someone to be with.

But beggars can't be choosers, and I don't think I can handle another Katie.

Katie is my ex-girlfriend. We recently broke up due to....particular circumstances.

Basically, she thought I was insane because I finally told her about the humming in my head.

I mean, it also didn't help that she claimed I said some girl's name while I was asleep. I have no recollection of the matter, as I don't know anyone called 'Tobi' and I was asleep, but she wasn't too happy with me. She believed I was cheating on her and couldn't bare to tell her.

I'm not a cheater and I'm quite relieved she broke up with me because that just shows how she lacked trust in me. I was a fool to think anyone other than Mitch would understand what I've gone through. The soft singing in my mind has no explanation, but Mitch told me it was probably just a repressed memory trying to resurface.

I know it's not, though.

What's confusing is that the voice is of a woman's, so it can't be just my internal psyche.

As if on queue, a quiet song plays out in my head, this time to the tune of Sorcerer by Stevie Nicks. I will say, however, the humming always chooses great songs. I've noticed they have a specific genre they tend to stick to, much to my confusion when I don't recall ever listening to those certain songs before.

For instance, the other day I was in my apartment cooking dinner when the hum started. I didn't recognize it, but for the rest of the day it was stuck in my head. I couldn't quite let it go, I felt as if I knew it but...I didn't.

That was until yesterday, when I was in my car on my way to pick up Mitch to go get some coffee. I had turned on the radio and low and behold, the untold tune that was stuck in my mind for days was playing throughout my car.... and I know I had never heard of it before.

The humming first started when I moved to New Orleans from Manchester. I came to the states to pursue music and New Orleans was where Mitch was. See, Mitch had gone on holiday to England a couple years ago we had run into one another at a cafe. We became friends rather quickly and he was the only one I could think of to contact when I made my trip to the U.S.

"Hey, H? You spaced out again. Is it the humming?" Mitch inquired, his strumming fading out as he comes to a stop, his focus now shifting to me from his guitar.

I sigh and run my fingers through my hair, leaning back against the couch I'm sat on, "Yeah, sorry. Anyway, so when do I get to meet this girl?"

Mitch instantly blushes at the thought of his little crush which bring me so much happiness. I'm glad to see him finally getting himself out there. He's on the quiet side of things, sometimes I would worry about him never being able to meet anyone because of how reserved he is.

"Hmm, I don't know. We've only been on a couple dates...maybe soon? We just gotta see where this goes." He says as he chews nervously on his bottom lip.