Chapter 23

HARLOW

“So overall, I think we’ll keep you here for one more night, and then you can be discharged.”

“Will I need to come back here for the follow-up appointments that you mentioned?”

“Dr. Prescott, who you met yesterday, he would be who you’ll have your follow-up with. He’ll be in here again for rounds this afternoon. You can go over the specifics with him. I would also suggest you make an appointment with Petra, I think she is really going to be a support system for you.”

Dr. Holmes tucks his tablet away and gives me a single nod before walking out the door once again. The nurse that is assigned to me today checks my vitals once more and starts the process of removing the IV port from my arm.

“I bet you’re happy to be going home, aren’t you?”

“I would be happier if I felt like I had a place called home.” The nurse looks at me with sad eyes and pats my forearm a bit. “I’m sorry, I probably just brought your mood down too. I’m not usually this...well this.”

“I think you have every right to feel whatever feelings you have going on right now. I’m not here to judge that. I cannot imagine what you’re going through right now and if those types of comments are what you need to let out right now, then so be it. What about that tall drink of water that has barely left this place, do you aftercare plans involved him at all?”

I manage to let out a genuine small laugh at her comments on Lyle. He hasn’t left for more than a quick trip somewhere since I was brought in a week ago. He’s become pretty popular amongst the nurses working on this floor. At first, they were quiet about it, I happened to hear two of them talking about him while they thought I was sleeping. Finally, I just straight up commented about it and now they’re very open with their little crushes. 

I can’t blame them though. I still catch myself staring at his body as he walks into a room and commands it. That fact that he’s my boyfriend and somehow he wants to be here with me? I have to pinch myself sometimes to remind myself that it is true. 

“I guess we haven’t really talked about where I was going once I left here. Maybe with him? Still doesn’t feel like that is home. It was going to be home, eventually, but now it feels so forced.”

“Well take your time. If you want some names and numbers of places that can help you get a place to stay, I can do that.”

“No, that won’t be necessary. Thank you though.”

“You’re welcome. How does your arm feel? Need any ice?”

I flex the arm that has been hooked up to an IV for medication purposes and smile at her. “Feels great, no ice needed. Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, sweetheart.” The door opens and Lyle steps in with a vase of flowers and a big smile on his face. “Looks like your water is here.” She winks at me and gives Lyle a big smile on her way out.

“Hey there.” Lyle presses a kiss softly against the side of my jaw, attempting to avoid my shattered cheek, and sets the flowers on the table next to me. “These are for you.”

“They’re really pretty. You know you don’t have to bring me stuff all the time, right?”

“I know, but I was picking up some other things and I saw them at the checkout and they were beautiful and thought they might make you smile.”

“You know, if I wasn’t already in love with you, I’d certainly swoon.”

Lyle stops in his footsteps and turns back around to face me. “What did you say?”