Chapter 36

HARLOW

“I don’t want you to go.” Lyle mopes around the master bedroom while I pull clothes out of the closet and back into the bad sitting on our bed.

“You’re being a baby. I’m only going to be gone through Monday.”

“That’s a really long fucking time. What if I forget what it is like to sleep alone?”

“Call Jace and Deac and you all can have a sleepover.” I wink at him and he growls, crawling across the bed and wrapping his arm around my waist. He pulls me into him and presses his lips against mine.

“Take it back.”

“Take what back?” He pulls me down onto the bed and rolls on top of me. “I love you, I’m going to miss you, please don’t go.”

Lyle gives me puppy dog eyes, but it isn’t going to work. Two weeks ago when we announced to his family that were engaged, his mom and Bev invited me with them to the twice a year bridal expo that they attend in Houston. Normally the sole purpose is to advertise the ranch, but this year they said we could do some of our own wedding planning. I wasn’t required to get married here at the ranch, but with Lyle and I having to pay for the wedding without the help of my parents, I was a huge fan of having a place we could use for free. 

On top of that, his aunt was a professional wedding planner. She has hookups everywhere and since we knew we wanted to get married sooner rather than later, it was nice to have an “in” to the industry. Even if I wasn’t planning a wedding though, I really liked the idea of a weekend away, even if it was with my future in-laws. I got along well with Bev and Brooke was amazing. Lyle was supportive of me going, but he was being a sulking little baby now that I was packing.

“You’re going to be just fine without me. I’m worried about your codependency.”

“Liar, my codependency is one of your favorite parts about me.”

“Is it though? I always thought this was one of my favorite parts.” I run my hands down his chest and then over his rock hard abs, feeling the indent of each of the muscles below his shirt.

“This isn’t fair. Unless you’re going to let me sink into you right now.”

“How about we make a deal?”

“Alright, what do you got for me sweetness?”

“You help me finish packing and get everything set out for tomorrow and then after dinner I’ll put on those heels you like so much and if they end up pinned against my shoulders well,” I shrug, ”that’s just a risk I’m willing to take.”

“Well shit, not I’m going to be hard for the rest of the night, but you’ve got yourself a deal, princess.”

“Come on, Harlow, what’s taking so long?” I put the lid on my travel mug of coffee and let out some incoherent mumbles to Bev and Brooke. I don’t get why they are so bright and cheery this early in the morning. The sun isn’t up and they’re like happy and stuff. 

“Remind me again why we’re leaving so early?”

“Because it is better to get on the road early so we miss any traffic in town. Plus, it gives us a night before the expo begins rather than getting there and having to go straight to the convention center tomorrow or something.”

“I hate it.”

“Aww somebody isn’t a morning person.” Brooke wraps her arm around my shoulder and gives me a little side hug. I grumble again as I take a long drink of my coffee.