Chapter 10: Defiance

Lize and her people already have a great deal of respect for the Felgardians for their formidable cavalry forces, but after hearing the words of those that they have in custody after the surprise attack, the Helestans were beyond shocked.

They have just learned that the force led by (Falric), Dale, and Kaldan to attack them were far smaller than they realized. Two hundred and forty Felgardian cavalrymen in its entirety managed to hold down three thousand Helestan soldiers. Were it not for the reinforcements, the situation would have turned much worse for Lize and her troops.

However, Lize thought that the situation have become worse regardless, both for them and the desperate Felgardians. With their attempt to repel the Helestans having failed, she believed that they have lost all hope of surviving and that they are preparing for one last stand based from the accounts of those that they captured as well as that of Sir Giazza.

The more than four thousand troops gathered clearly outnumber the Felgadians who only have less than a thousand left. Not only that they are outnumbered, but many of them have become very tired and hungry from all their attempts to outrun their pursuers. General Rafael predicted that if it were the case, they would be facing lesser numbers due to some not being able to fight but despite that, the Felgardians seem ready to fight one last time.

Lize lamented at their miserable state, but she is determined to end it with as little bloodshed as possible. Many have been gravely injured already, and it is time to stop – they still have to find the real culprits afterwards.

Lize ordered the task force to start advancing towards the Felgardian positions ahead. The mist remained detrimental to their vision as ever, but they pressed on. She understood that a battle is inevitable regardless of how many times she tried to reason with them, for their desperation have replaced their reasoning. She expected another battle and hoped that it will be quick.

As their forces advanced, she ordered the flanks secured as there is still the danger that the enemy cavalry posed despite their diminished numbers. They awaited for another cavalry strike that never came.

All attempted to avoid it, but here they are now, fighting each other. Felgardian kalators and bellators clashed against the Helestan lines, and while the former are experienced and well-trained, they were far too outnumbered. There was no hope of victory, only resistance, but even that seemed futile. They have faced the prospect of them dying here, in foreign lands.

(Falric) stood with his cavalry company far at the rightmost flank of their forces, waiting for the right time to strike. His brother, Dale held the left flank with his own cavalry, similarly waiting for an opportunity. Neither of them moved their cavalry and they can only watch as their lines crumbled against the bulwark of the Helestans. Prince Sergius and Prince Mateo commanded their vanguard while Prince Lev who is yet to recover from his injuries from the disaster that is the Festival of Peace remained at the rear with their handful of reserves.

"Prince (Falric)." One of (Falric's) officers called to him while pointing to the left flank. "Your brother is moving for an attack." The officer said.

(Falric) looked towards the direction the officer was pointing and sure enough, there is Dale leading his company for a possible opportunity. He watched his younger brother intently, hoping that he has found a weak point in the Helestan lines that could hopefully turn the tides of this battle should they exploit it. As Dale got into position, however, the Helestans immediately shifted to deflect their incoming charge, and the younger Felgardian prince had no choice but to pull back and retreat.

(Falric) sighed. It was yet another failed attempt. He has respect for the strategic prowess of the House of Helesta, but for Lize to be this talented despite her lack of experience is beyond him. In contrast, (Falric) is an experienced cavalry commander who had fought insurrections back in Felgarde. He is a leader and a tactician, but he is no strategist, and as far as he knows, no one among them is. The loss of Sir Giazza was more than a severe blow to them for he was their own strategist.