Chapter 12-Jade the Stalker

It's been two tough months of seeing her carefully adapting her college life. She's always in the library in front of a stack of books. She's been carefully reading those old and dusty books just to look for difference in facts written by historians and scientists. She's been a meticulous reader digging up information from one book to another just to verify facts. You can imagine her silently reading for one hour during lunchbreak inside a not-so-airconditioned library area. There was one time that I wanted to wipe off her sweat with my hankie but she's been so focused that I don't want to distract her. I made myself contented looking at her.

Speaking of her information gathering skills, I teased her with her mini notes that is neatly fixed in her books and notebooks. You might not believe me when I say her notes has little notes inside it. Funny? But it's true. And when I asked her about it she only answered me with a 'bleh!' like she's a kid hiding something from her dad. She's so cute that I wanna pinched her cheeks.

Napakasarap niyang pagmasdan mula sa malayo. Yung tipong kahit titig lang sa maamo niyang mukha ng ilang minuto ay napapawi agad ang pagod ko. Minsan ay kahit nasa Amphitheater ako para sa isang school event ay tatakbuhin ko ang may kalayuang library para lang mapagmasdan ko siya saglit kapag lunchbreak. 

There's no point in hiding it. I like her. 

No, scratch that. I'm in love with her. 

Hindi ko alam kung kailan nagsimula. Noong hinatid niya ba ako kina Kate, o noong nalaman ko ba ang pangalan niya sa meeting, o noong unang pagkikita namin na nabunggo ko siya, o noong  mismong unang araw ng foundation day ng school kung saan nakita ko siyang may hawak ng DSLR at may kausap na administrator. 

It must have been love at first sight.

And to worsen my case, I just realized that I have been stalking Ms. Carmen ever since the very day I saw her sweet smile. To the point that I forgot to attend one of my major classes. Good thing, my professor considered my advance studies and my high scores in quizzes that she me slide skipping her class.

Yes, you read it right readers! The great go-getter Nathaniel Jade Mendes Monteverde has been a stalker since he laid eyes on a freshman who smiles like she can erase all the pain in the world. 

That day, I went everywhere she went. Saw every view and detail she captured in her DSLR cam. It has been a two-hour stalking but never had a second that I felt bored. Luckily for me, she didn't notice me. 

The second time I saw her was my favorite short encounter of my life. It was when I accidentally bumped into her and all her books were scattered in the floor. I didn't realize it was her until I saw her cute round face with beautiful hazel eyes, sharp but small nose, and full pouty lips. Her lips that's so inviting I want to kiss her there and then. I immediately fixed her books and gave it to her to prevent myself in doing something that will taint her first impression of me. 

"Sorry Miss. Nagmamadali kasi ako." I said after I found my voice. I left after that knowing that I can no longer control my urge to kiss that delectable lips of her. Get a grip you idiot! You can be sued for hitting on a minor. 

The following encounters was none of my control. She became my boardmate, a friend, and our bunso. That's how we all call her in the boarding house. Not to mention, that she is our youngest. I decided to call her 'BUNSO' just like how kuya Joseph and the rest call her. I also fought my feelings so that I can avoid things to get awkward between Rina and I.

Yun lamang ay hindi ko talaga mapigilan ang paminsan minsang paglabas ng nararamdaman ko at napapansin iyon ng mga kasama namin sa bahay. 

Kuya Joseph's instincts are  the sharpest. He observed like that of an agent. I flinched at his every stare and I would nervously look away. I could feel something as if he's giving me a warning not to get close too much with Rina. That happened when Rina offered to drive me back to Kate's apartment. I wonder how she managed to smoothly maneuver Kuya Joseph's car but then again, I refuse to doubt anything about her.

Everything came back to normal again after that except for MuTur's presence and that day Rina and I went to buy MuTur's stuff. 

Classes went on as activities in school increases. Madalas ay sa higher years - third, fourth at fifth year students ang may ganap sa school. The freshmen and the sophomores stayed on their respective classes as per instruction of the CEO so as to let them adapt better in the university.

Magandang rasong yun dahil nga pagkatapos ng prelim ay sila naman ang may ganap. Kailangan kasi silang magkaroon ng Socialization Party para magkaroon ng kakilala ang mga bagong mag-aaral. Mandatory ito sa lahat ng freshmen at sophomores kaya naman ay magiging malaking party yun. Exempted na ang mga higher years pero hindi naman sila bawal na pumunta. Besides, doon nakakabingwit ang mga loko ng mga magaganda. 

Napangiwi ako sa naisip. 

* * *

Pagkatapos kong makita ang masayang pakikipag-usap ni Rina sa lalakeng kaklase ay nagmamadali kong nilisan ang restaurant na kinainan namin ni Kate. Hindi ko maintindihan kung bakit ganito nalang yung pakiramdam ko ng makita siyang masaya kasama ang iba. Diba nga pinilit mo na ang sarili mong dapat ay bunsong kapatid lang ang turing mo sa kanya?

I fought the urge to punch the wall that I passed by. 

I regretted that days that I've been so busy with school stuff that I rarely saw her. Namahay na ako sa office namin sa org para lamang matapos lahat. Lagi akong tinatanong ng landlady namin kung kailan ako uuwi. Sumasagot nalang ako sa text na nasa school lang ako at maraming ginagawa. Ganun na ba talaga katagal mula ng hindi ako nakakauwi na hindi ko na kilala ang mga kasama ni Rina? Three weeks palang naman yun ah!

Mabilis kong hinanap ang luma kong cellphone na Cherry Mobile at hinanap ang picture niya sa albums. Ilang awipe lang at nakita ko na ulit ang maganda niyang mukha.

What are you doing to me? Tanong ko sa picture niya na animo ay sasagot sa akin. Ilang minuto ko pa itong tinitigan bago ko naalala ang text ni Rina five days ago. Hinalughog ko ang inbox ko at di pa nagtagal ay nakita ko na ang mensahe niyang nag-iimbita sa kaarawan niya sa Sabado. Huwebes na ngayon. Dalawang araw nalang at magiging seventeen na siya. Menor de edad parin yun. 

Binalik ko ang tingin sa hawak kong cellphone at nakitang nag OO na pala ako sa imbitasyon. Wala na rin akon choice kundi pumunta.

O kung hindi man ay dapat lang na makapag prepare ako ng regalo para sa kanya. 

Ngayong ako'y naguguluhan ay hindi ko na alam ang dapat na gawin. Ano kaya kung umiwas nalang ako. Magdadahilan nalang akong na busy kaya nawala sa isip ko. Hindi naman siguro mapapansin kung wala ako dun dahil malamang ay maraming tao sa kaarawan ng dalaga. Ano bang tamang gawin?

To attend or not to attend?

* * * * *

LawyeRen [ R E N ]