Chapter 13-Rina's birthday

"Good morning visitors, welcome to Love and Lucky's Foster Home. We are happy to meet all of you." The children gathered in front of us, cheerfully welcoming us right after we got out of the two vans that we rode. Sumabay kasi ako kina Mommy while my friends were on the other van na sumundo sa kanila mula sa boarding house.

A big and wide smile easily crept into my lips as I wandered my eyes on the children led by several nuns and a tall, well-built and handsome man in his early thirties stood beside the gate of the foster home.

"Welcome to our humble abode, Ms. Carmen..." He looked around then continued, ...and youngsters. I am Dr. Love Wade, the Director of Love and Lucky's Foster Home." The man said as he extended his hands towards me. I shook his hands then he let go after.

"Thank you for having us today, Director. You don't have to personally welcome us. We have troubled you."

"You are not stranger to us. In fact, your parents, my twin Lucky who is not here today due to a business trip, and I are old friends. Matutuwa yung kambal ko kapag nalaman niyang nandito ka ngayon. Magseselos yun panigurado once I tell him the news." He heartily said and winked at her.

When I saw him looked at my friends at the back and nod at them, I introduced them one by one to the director and the nuns. When I finally reached the last person on the line, I tried to secretly peek inside the van if I missed calling someone since two of them are missing, unfortunately, the van is empty. I tried to look at my friends but they just avoided my gaze.

So, he's not coming...

The director flashed a smile and then went on to ask, "I don't see your parents, Ms. Carmen. I thought they're coming today." He probed.

I explained Mom and Dad's whereabouts. I was also puzzled a while ago when they asked the driver, Mang Simon, to drop them in a market near the foster home telling her to go first as they needed to tend to something on the market first.

After a bit of explanation, the director was quite convinced and decided to wait for his old friends to arrive.

"Director, please call me Rina. I am not used to such formalities." I tried striking a conversation to ease my anxiety as some of my friends aren't able to attend and God knows where my parents went. The director agreed with a condition that she calls him Tito Ninong Love. I awkwardly smiled focusing my attention to my newly-found Tito Ninong.

While they were having a chat, she saw some of the nuns ushering the children to move to the function hall where she believes to be the venue of today's occassion.

Rina tried pushing the growing sadness and uneasiness within her heart as they started the mini program for the children not so long after her parents arrived. Nagpasundo na kasi ang mga ito kay Mang Simon.

This has been her biggest dream eversince. To celebrate her birthday, not in a fancy restaurant, hotel or in their massive mansion, but in an orphanage and share meals and gifts to these abandoned children and show them love even just for a day.

Her heart was filled with awe as she stared at the kids giggling in every corner of the hall.

Rina looked at her parents and saw the glint of proudness in their eyes ans they stared back at her.

She mouthed 'Thank you' to them and they silently nod.

Kita ko pa ang pagpunas ni Mommy ng luha sa gilid ng kanyang mga mata.

I smiled back as Dad carefully hugged my Mom as he kissed her temple. My parents are truly in love with each other. I am so happy that they let me arrange my own birthday party this year.

I clearly remembered how they were greatly overjoyed when they heard my plan and as expected, my Mom was the first to feel the excitement of the occasion.

"Ate Rina, maraming maraming salamat po sa inyo sa pagpunta niyo rito ngayon" The cute little girl named Carla beamed at me. I guess she's just five years old or less.

I squatted for her to reach me. I asked her gently, "Masaya ba ang baby Carla?"

She squealed and nodded her head three times. I wanted so bad to hug her but I restricted myself when I remembered the Head Sister's instructions.

Masama raw kasing binibigla ang mga bata na yakapin, halikan o buhatin ang mga ito lalo at marami sa kanila ang galing sa trauma. Naiintindihan ko naman ito. Kaya lang ay maaari naman daw gawin ang ilang mga bagay kung kusang ipahihintulot ng mga bata.

I patiently looked into Carla's eyes and asked her for a hug. Thankfully, being a brave kid that she was and someone who loves hugs, she agreed. So I immediately spread both of my hands gesturing her to come over. Her petite little self moved closer into mine and I enclosed her tightly into an embrace.

"I am glad we made you happy, baby Carla. Ate Rina's birthday wish is now fulfilled." I whispered into Carla's ear.

The little kid was shock that I lose my hold of her when she ran into the crowd. My eyed followed where Carla had run off fearing that I have made a mistake. But to my surprise, she went to the Head Sister and whispered something.

As I pushed myself to hurry over to explain to the Head Sister, Carla looked at me while grinning. The Head Sister threaded where Carla's eyes were and when she saw me, she gave me a thumbs up.

I heaved a sigh of relief but afterwards, the crowd began to sing a 'Happy Birthday' song and all eyes were on me.

My heart melted right away the moment my parents joined in singing. I tried searching for the crowd once more, wishing to see that person I earnestly want to be here, celebrating with me, but failed once again.

I shrugged my thoughts in my head and joined the fun, thinking that maybe he is stuck into something urgent again, repeatedly giving him another excuse in my head.

Failed again...

* * *

Just as the song is nearing its end, a man holding a birthday cake with lit candles on top came into sight. A tear escaped my eyes as I recognized the man holding the cake and is now joining the everyone in singing. He's in front of me, one of my Kuya's in the boarding house.

"Happy birthday, bunso!" Kuya Joseph greeted smilingly at me. "Now take a wish and blow the candles. Hindi ko kayang magtagal sa pagbubuhat nitong triple-layered cake mo." Biro niya pero inirapan ko lang siya.

"Bawal kang magreklamo, punishment mo yan since late ka sa birthday ko, Kuya Seph." I said half-jokingly at him.

He chuckled probably because this has been the first time I gave her an attitude but did not comment nonetheless. The crowd urged me to do what Kuya Joseph had said. I surrendered as I gaze upon the expectant eyes of my audience.

I gave my wish then pulled Carla near the cake and we both blew the candles after. The children cheered happily. My Mom probed Kuya Joseph to put the cake down and started to slice the cake to be distributed to the kids. My Mom really loves kids. Ni hindi na ito magkamayaw kung sino ang uunahin sa mga bata. My friends came rushing in to help her in the distribution.

Nilapitan naman ako ng ever late na si Kuya Joseph.

"Hi princess, happy birthday ulit. Sana nagustuhan mo yung cake na dala ko. Your Mom insist for me to get it." Anito ng tumatawa at agad akong niyakap.

Now, I am sure that Kuya Joseph is somewhat connected to my Mom. Or both my parents.

"By the way, my compensation for being late is in my Audi." Sabi niya pagkatapos.

* * * * *

Merry Christmas everyone! 😘

LawyeRen [ R E N ]