No More Surprises

The next morning, Charles awoke to hear a light rapping on his door. He thought it sounded too light to be someone knocking, but when he opened the door, he found Georgia red faced and holding three dresses on hangers.

"Good morning Charlie... so, we didn't want to make a big deal out of this... But just in case something like that happens again, I talked to Ms. Hughes and she thought... we thought... it would be a good idea to be prepared." The hangers held a yellow kitchen uniform dress, a black and white house keeping uniform dress, and a fancy dark brown dress.

Charlie eyed them suspiciously, waiting to be made fun of. "Oh okay, but I don't know if I'll be doing that again."

Georgia tensed up, and she broke eye contact. "It's just I thought if you wanted them... You don't have to..."

"Thank you. Georgia. It won't hurt to put them in my closet. Though I don't have any shoes or anything to wear with them, so I don't know how useful this is." Charlie briefly looked over the dresses, sighed and hung them in the back of his closet. That evening he spent as a girl was the first time he felt like he fit in, not just here but anywhere, but he didn't dare say it.

When he turned back around, Georgia was gone.

Charlie went back to yard work, and worked with Kate in the kitchen that night, in his dark blue suit. Georgia was nowhere to be seen the whole day. It was her day off, and she might have been abducted by aliens for all anyone knew, until she returned after the dining room had closed.

Charlie was sitting quietly up in his room, browsing the web when there was another light rapping on his door. When he opened it, Georgia was outside holding a package. "Hey Charlie, I'm sorry about earlier. You were right about the dresses. Here, I got you something."

At first, Charlie thought it was a joke when he opened the package and found a pair of black mary janes in his size, a three pack of panties and bras, a bag of bird seed, a lady's disposable razor, some stockings, and a handful of dime store cosmetics. He looked at Georgia; she was not cracking into a smile; she was not sticking out her tongue. She was waiting very nervously to see whether or not he approved.

He felt naked, exposed and spoke timidly, "Thanks, but that's not exactly what I meant. I mean I'm not just going to up and start being a girl."

Georgia looked miserable. "I'm sorry. Just when you said you didn't have anything to go with the dresses, I thought I could... I'm so stupid."

"Thank you for the gift. But I'm not quite sure how to take it. What were you thinking?" He felt guilty once he realized he said that last part like an accusation.

"I just thought... it might be helpful to try on the dresses, just to see how you look. And then I thought you don't have any of the stuff you need, and you were so nice at helping out the other night, and I've been mean to you, and I wanted to make it up. You looked so good in the kitchen uniform. I guess I figured you had to like it. I mean if I was as pretty as you, I'd like it. We don't have to tell anyone. You can try the stuff on up here, and I can help..." Georgia trailed off, looking ill.

Charlie was still looking through the bag. A receipt was hidden in the bottom. He looked at it without removing it from the bag, so Georgia couldn't see. It said eighty dollars. That was a lot of money.

Still on edge, speaking felt like leaping into a void, "Alright, we can try it once, just to see, when no one else is looking... and you can't tell anyone."

Georgia, practically jumped up and closed the doors. Charlie was stunned because he hadn't meant now, but they were alone so...

She waited while he shaved his body in the bathroom. He came out in a bathrobe, and she gave him a pair of panties to put on while she looked the other way. She showed him how to put the bra on, starting backwards and rotating it around, then she filled two plastic bags with birdseed and stuffed them down into the bra.