Chapter 2

Katylnn sat down on the floor. She pulled out a small box. Last year, her aunt gave her a box with a tee-shirt and earrings for Christmas. She emptied it out and put drawings, quotes, her diary, wraps to stop the blood and her blade in it. She took it out from under her dresser and opened the box. She looked through it until she found her blade. Katylnn took it out and looked at it. She saw her reflection in it. 'Since Brendan saw the scars on my arm, I need to stop. Or cut somewhere else.' she thought. She walked into her bathroom and shut the door. She sat on the floor and started crying. Katylnn remembered the girls who bullied her. She remembered Brendan. 'He won't like me after he knows the truth.' She pulled up her jeans until she saw the skin of her upper thigh. She pushed the tip of the blade into her skin and watched the dark red blood start coming out. She drug the blade across her leg creating deep cuts with blood spilling on the floor. She had made about five cuts before she stopped crying. Katylnn wrapped her leg in the white wrap to stop the blood. She saw the white slowly turn to pink then red. She wiped up the blood from the floor and walked back into her room. She put her blade back in the box and pushed it back under the dresser. As she stood up, she saw her phone glowing. She never gets a text so she looked at the number. It was unsaved. She put in her password *Kellin* her favorite singer, and opened the text. "Hey, its Brendan. You gave me your # in English." she smiled. She replied, "Hey." "Are we still on for tonight?" he asked. She was very confused, then she remembered the football game. "Yeah!" she replied. "Sweet. See u tonight. I'll pick you up in a little bit." "Sure, you know where I live right?" "Yep" he said. Katylnn set her phone down and went to the mirror. She stared at the girl looking back at her. Her eyes watered. All the things wrong with her stated to flow in her mind. She hated herself. She hated her hair, her eyes, everything. Katylnn looked at her frizzy hair. Her eyes that always had a secret in them. She pulled up her shirt. She hated her size. She quickly pulled down her shirt and put in her ear buds. She turned her music up as loud as it would go. She reapplied her eyeliner and put on some concealer. She brushed her hair and rearranged her bracelets. Katylnn took a deep breath and called her mom. *ringing* "Hello?" "Hey, can I head up to the store and grab a snack?" Katylnn asked."We have food at home." "But, not the kind I want." "Okay, just bring the receipt back." Katylnn's mom said. "Okay, got it. Love you. Bye." She said quickly. "Love you to-" and Katylnn hung up. She grabbed some cash and ran up to the store. She picked up some popcorn and a lighter. She put in down on the counter, "Can you ring 'em up separate?" she asked the cashier. "Um... sure." Katylnn waited. "Here you go" She gave Katylnn the lighter, snack, and both receipts. "Have a ni-" Katlynn dashed out and about half way home she stopped. She took out the lighter and stared into the flame. She was hypnotized. The dancing flame reflecting in her eyes. She dropped everything except the lighter and pulled up her sleeve. She touched the red flame to her skin. She squeaked and held the flame still. She saw a car coming. Katlynn quickly pulled down her sleeve and shut off the lighter. The car slowed down until it stopped right next to her. "Hey" said Brendan. "Let me put this up and I'll be right back." She ran home and left a note for her mom reminding her that she went to the game. She ran back and got in the car. Katylnn put in her ear buds and blocked the world out. Brendan looked over and saw her staring out the window. He looked back at the road "Shit!" Brendan almost hit the car in front of him. "Are you alright?" he asked Katlynn. She didn't even notice what just happened. Tears were forming in her eyes. "Katlynn?" he asked, "Kate. Whats wrong?" She looks at him and looks down at her iPod. "Oh." he said as he saw what was displayed."It's... It's just a song." She said. "Katylnn, talk. I know something is wrong. Tell me." Brendan said.