The Riskiest Rescue That Was Expensive

Jarred Hill

"Approaching AO," the helicopter pilot mentioned.

Looking out the side of the helicopter, I saw nothing outside the window. The red lights only reaching so far out the window. I could barely see the other helicopters in the corner of my eyes.

"Rondel is coming into view, the exchanging is going to happen at the city hall," I heard over the radio.

"We clear the building in an attempt to find the empress. The latest intel mentions heavy resistance. Do your job well, then do your job correctly," the voice continued.

The lights of the city filled my eyes. The different streets and buildings cast pillars of lights higher and higher. After that, the sky lit up with one large fireball. The sounds of glass shattering and ricochets along the walls filled my ears. I ducked my head into my elbows and stayed that way. The whining of the flight instruments filled my ears along with the rotors vibrating. An explosion shook the entire aircraft and a flame was spotted at the top of the door.

"Harry, Rowan? Do you copy? Get us stabilized!" I shouted.

No response came from the cockpit. I leaned over and found both of them hunched over still grasping at the flight control sticks. Bullet holes filled the windows in front of them.

"Fuck, our pilots are dead. Everyone brace for impact!" I shouted.

The helicopter spun around rapidly. Looking around, I could see everyone holding onto their weapons and their harnesses. The fire illuminated the area around us. The lake near the city was slowly coming into view.

"BRACE!" I shouted.

The helicopter crashed into the water with a large splash. I was thrashed around my seat for a moment. I opened my eyes and found everyone unbuckling their harnesses. I scrambled with buckles and grabbed my L119A1 and ducked out to the door. Two smoke columns could be seen coming from the city. I started to swim to the shore without thinking. The water was ice-cold and with every stroke, I felt more and more tired.

"Come on, I didn't go to this mission to die just like this," I thought while swimming.

I heard chattering from the shore. It didn't sound like English nor did it sound Russian. Hell, it didn't sound like anything from this world. Slowing down my speed will probably cause me to become more fatigued. Swimming fast, however, would make me lose my element of stealth. I felt the shore below me a few feet away from the shore.

"Jesus fuck," I thought while raising my rifle.

I tried to slow my breathing after coming out of the water. The cold air didn't help one bit. The feeling didn't feel any different from coming into an AC after coming from a rainy day. I could hear the steps getting closer along with the light. I pressed up against the wall and held my breath. The light shone on the lake where my fellow teammates trying to swim. The mechanical clicking filled my ears.

"Solatee so lamee lafafa," the voices mentioned.

The laser guns fired into the lake. I followed them to the helicopter site. The lasers connected with everyone in the water. Faint screams could be heard around me, and I was powerless to stop it. Seeing them pick them off one by one like fish in a barrel. Stunned by the horror, I accidentally moved a rock under my hand. The firing stop and the light source neared the edge. I pressed myself against the wall as much as I could. The shadow of the edge covered me barely.