Geneva Doesn't Apply

March 5th, 2026

"Breakthrough!" the Japanese soldier ordered, "We did it once, we can do it again!"

The Type 10 tanks charged forwards, passing the rows of trenches surrounding the capital city. Ranks of Japanese soldiers invaded from the southwest while scores of Russians pincered from the northeast.

"Keep on going through! Get to the bridges!" he shouted.

I felt something drop under me. Opening my eyes, I saw my CO standing above me. Guess I was dreaming about D-day. I can remember those opening days like the back of my hand. I lost most of my squad along with my squad leader. Now, I was the leader of a squad before I was even 20. I couldn't comprehend the fact. The capital still hasn't been captured. Small scale skirmishes occurred inside of the capital while the JGSDF and RGF moved in.

"Hey, your squad is up for city clearing," my CO mentioned.

"Aye, sir," I sighed.

He handed me a piece of paper and motioned to the city. Walking up to the Southern gate, I met back up with my subordinates. All were still exhausted from the previous mission we had.

"Command says we have to go out," I ordered.

They all groaned and complained before I shut them up by saying:

"You're not going to get much sleep if we stay here and complaining."

They started to become more compliant with me. They picked up their gear and stood up from the rocky ground.

I mentioned, "Come on, we're on the clock."

I glanced at the guards monitoring the gate. Giving them a slight nod, they knew what I wanted.

"Open the gate!" they shouted.

The groaning of wooden doors synced with the opening of the doors. The slums were the only place that our world has a hand on. Parts of the peasant quarters, along with the Noble Ring, still had sparse fighting.

"So where do we go?" one of my subordinates asked.

"We were ordered to fight inside of the Royal Ring. We're going to link up with an American team," I mentioned while reading the leaflet I received from the CO.

The people of the city evacuated back to Alnus Hill. Although ROE states that we're weapons tight, the odds of collateral damage was minimal. We reached the inner wall that marked the boundary between peasant and nobility.

"I suppose you're the new squad?" someone shouted.

A group of US Marines stood at the entrance. One stepped forward and asked:

"You Arata Imoto?"

"Yeah," I confirmed.

"I'm Arnold Kennedie. We have unconfirmed reports of a command center in the noble quarter. I've heard you were one of the best squads in the initial invasion. Hope those rumors are true. Come on."

He motioned with his hand to follow him. We lingered behind him with our rifles at the ready.

"There's the target building," the soldier stated, "Shit..."

A palace stood in front of us. Black fences bordering the entire property. A mix of humans, demi-humans, and machinery covered the lawn and was visible in the windows.

"That place is like a fortress, how do we get in there?" I asked.

"I mean that place is locked up tighter than Fort Knox," one of the Marines commented.

"An assault with the 10 of us will get us killed," one of my subordinates stated.

"Don't worry about it, we're not going to face the full brunt," the leader mentioned, "This is 1-1. Make some noise."

"Copy 1-1."

An explosion echoed through the streets. I was confused about where that came from and if there were any civilian casualties.

"The hell was that?"

"A setup. Should be working now."

I observed the enemy base and saw soldiers running out with rifles and gear in hand. We flanked the route that they took and the path splits left and right to form a T-shape. Windows were all along the flank.

"Open up!" the Marine shouted.

The windows at the end of the street opened at a lightning-fast speed. The sight of muzzle flashes proceeded by the sound of gunfire. Tracer fire filled the street now marked as a kill zone for the enemy. Stacks of soldiers falling like dominoes.

"Holy shit! The enemy is falling," I remarked.

Before I knew it, everything in the street laid at a standstill. We left the top of the house and saw the damage that was done. At the end where the road split, American soldiers strolled down with their weapons pointed down at the enemy. They held their hands up in a symbol of surrendering. A soldier stepped up to one of the surrendered soldiers and shot him square in the head.

"Hey, that's a violation!" one of my subordinates shouted.

"So what, this isn't Earth, this is a whole new world. Rules of War don't apply here," the soldier scoffed.

The popping of gunshots filled the air. One could assume each pop represented another war crime. I could only watch. Any idea of sympathy towards the enemy was shunned. This isn't what the JSDF should be. Killing people one after another even though they can't fight anymore.

We eventually occupied the area as well as the garrison. We still had to establish aerial supremacy over the capital to stop the resupplies for the enemy. Their Air Force's aircraft was fast. You'd be fighting a squad low on supplies and after one resupply overnight, they have more supplies than an entire platoon.

March 10th, 2026
Arnold Kennedie

I stood outside of the barracks and stared at the gate. Truck after truck rolled in and out of the Gate, each carrying 10 soldiers in simple pine caskets. This was the worst death count we've had for the US Armed forces since the Vietnam War. An enemy that was merciless, cold-blooded, and above all, inhumane. I've talked to the survivors. All had the same recounts of the enemy. I asked one of the survivors what happened. They coldly respond by saying:

"Surrender is never an option. They'll kill you at any and every opportunity."

News of actions that would be considered atrocious and blatant war crimes filled each camp one after another. That leads to a lot of complaints but also to far greater sin. A saying was going around called "Not Earth, No Rules" in which the idea of war crimes are legal here. Soon after, mentions of anything that resembled a war crime went down. Although the general staff office encourages their reports. The social pressure and quite possibly authoritarian pressure is leading to a decrease in reports.

"I mean, we're right. Why should we show compassion and sympathy to an enemy that is actively trying to kill us no matter what?" I thought.

That'll just make us like them... People without compassion, sympathy, and will only kill. That's what makes us better than the enemy.

Maybe, that's how we'll be able to tip the scales to our favor.