Chapter 22: Foul game

"Hey! It could be dangerous!" I exclaimed.

I chased him, but it was impossible to catch up with him. He was swift. I ran with all my might as I saw how the men on the wall seemed to prepare their weapons. They couldn't shoot to kill because evolved were humans too and were protected under the law, but now I didn't know what to think. If they started shooting, they would shoot him too. Adrenaline invaded me.

I stood with my arms outstretched, standing between them and the sight of the rifles.

"Stop!" I screamed, trying to signal. I knew they were seeing me from that distance. They lowered their weapons, wholly shocked. I was exhausted from running and allowed myself to catch my breath.

"Are you okay?" Sirius asked, concerned.

"Yes, don't worry," I answered with incredible difficulty. "They cannot attack us."

He approached his dad to see how he was. The man seemed unconscious and was injured entirely and bleeding. He looked like his son, except for his age and some gray hair. I was more concerned about his condition.

"An acquaintance of ours attacked him without giving reasons," said one of the EH.

I looked at him. He also seemed to be Sirius's father's age and was injured, but not seriously.

"He needs medical attention, but I don't know if we will get to our town in time," said the other.

"We'll take him to the hospital in this city," I said, pointing to the wall.

"Impossible. It's human's."

"You will see. Follow me."

I ran towards the wall.

"Let us pass!" I demanded, again trying to catch my breath.

A small door opened, and the three guards emerged.

"They are monsters. They cannot pass," replied one, confused by my request.

"They are as human as we are, you ignorant! You must let us in. They are with me. I work at the central hospital!"

"You can pass, but they can't. Anyways, if it dies is better, one less," said another guard.

I became more enraged and grabbed him by the shirt collar. The guards exclaimed again and ordered me to stop while I shook the man.

"You are crazy! See this?" I showed him my ring. "That man is my husband's father, so they have the right to pass by law!"

The guards were puzzled.

"What are you talking about?" the guard questioned, not hiding his horror. "Are you on drugs?"

I showed him my ID.

"See? I work at the hospital, and they are with me. I'm part of the government's toxin investigation."

Another guard, older than the others, scanned it. As he reviewed the information on the screen, he looked me up and down.

"The government and its things," he muttered. "It's true... she's from the government. Let them pass."

The guards looked at each other and snorted in resignation. The principal motioned for the door to be opened, and the two evolved men carried Sirius' father. Upon entering the city, I first used a rock and my backpack to break the nearby car window to use it for mobility.

"HEY!" yelled a guard.

"I will return it!" 

The two evolved got into the back seat carrying the man, and Sirius got in next to me in the passenger seat. I started the engine and accelerated.