NEW THINGS

It was the Monday after Dak finished a fast closing second in his second maiden, and Harper returned to school and was met by Gunner.

"So your abused horse finished second?" He asked her.

She tried to walk by him, but he stopped her. "Will you leave me the fuck alone? I don't want to deal with your bullshit today."

"Me? Leave you alone? Funny. I have to help make this horse abuse stop."

"What makes you think that they're abused? They're not abused."

"They're being forced to race. They're getting hit with a whip over and over again. Would you want to be forced to run? Would you want to be whipped over and over again?"

She just gave him a blank look, and the bell rang, signaling five minutes to get to class.

"I thought not," he said and left to go to his class.

Saved by the bell.

Harper then made her way to her first class of the day. Chemistry. One of only two classes she didn't have with Gunner. Which she was happy about.

...

Lunch finally came around, and Harper made her way outside and sat down by herself on a bench and table.

She got on her phone, scrolling through pictures of Dak on her Snapchat, then went online and started looking at photos of Minx and Linx, who she found out was the sire to Dak.

She wondered why her father didn't tell her that's how Dak was a grandson to Minx.

She was lost in thought, but it was broken by a student coming up to her.

"Is it okay if I sit here with you?" The voice asked, making Harper look up.

"I don't mind," she said with a smile. She got a better look at the boy in front of her when he sat down. And she couldn't help but think that he looked really cute.

"My names Jasper," he said as he extended a hand for her to shake.

"Harper," she said and returned the hand shake. "You new here? I haven't seen you around."

"I've been here for three days today. I started last Thursday."

She nodded, getting a better look at his eyes. They were squinty and bloodshot.

"You noticed my eyes, didn't you?" He asked.

"Y-yeah," Harper said. "S-sorry."

"Nah, it's cool. I'm just a little high, but it's wearing off."

"Off weed?" She asked quietly, knowing if a teacher heard, Jasper could get in trouble.

"Yeah," he said. "It helps me remain calm and to where my anxiety doesn't get the best of me. It also helps when I'm stressed."

"Gotcha," she said.

"I've noticed what happens to you here. I just haven't butted my head in because I didn't know if you'd get mad or not."

"Oh, the bullying? It's nothing. It's just cause my parents own a racehorse, and now I have one of my own running under their stable."

"If you don't mind me asking, which stable?"

"Rxcing Equestrian," she said, a small smile forming.

"No way," he said. "Owners of Minx, the Triple Crown winner."

"Yeah, that's them."

"I hate to ask, but have you done anything to help get people to quit bullying you?"