JUVENILE

Harper and her dad went to Four Dak's stall early the morning of the Juvenile.

The colt was looking really good, so hopefully he'd have a really good run in the Juvenile.

He was still the longest shot in the race, but it didn't really bother his team that much.  They knew he was much, much better than his odds.

"He looks good," Harper said with a big smile.  "And it's crazy.  A son of Linx running against a son of Mockingjay.  Mockingjay and Linx were big competition to each other."

"That is right," Austin replied.  "But this time it's the other way around.  Hyrule is favored while Four Dak is the long shot."

"Wouldn't it be something if Dak won and Hyrule lost?  The long shot over the favorite just like when Linx and Mockingjay ran against each other?"

"It would be.  I'm eager to see how this race goes later today."

"I am too."

There was a short silence in which Harper's dad broke.

"So, Harper," he started.  "When you walked out of school yesterday it seems as though you made a friend."

"Yeah," she said, thinking about her friend and crush, Jasper.  "That was Jasper.  He's kinda new to school.  We met on his third day, and we hit it off as friends that day."

"You sure you're not just friends?" Her dad asked with a wink.  "I see you texting on your phone a lot now, and I'm guessing it's towards him?"

"Dad," she said kind of embarrassed.  "We're just friends.  Nothing more than that."

"That's how your mom and I started off though.  As just friends.  And now look at where we are."

Harper rolled her eyes with a smile and a small laugh.  "Yeah, but my favorite boy is Dak right here.  He tops any guy, any day."

Her dad chuckled and then they ended up leaving the barn and going back to the hotel where they were staying until the race later that day.

...

"Horses set and loaded for the Breeder's Cup Juvenile.  All eyes set on the heavy favorite breaking from gate number one, Hyrule.

"And they're off in the Breeder's Cup Juvenile!  And a beautiful break for all which includes Obsidian!  And Obsidian goes out to lead the field.  Hyrule is going to be up in second, but he's stuck on the rail as Four Dak makes it up into third.  And it is Obsidian who flashes past the finish line for the first time."

"He's looking good," Harper said with a smile.  "Really good."

"Those blinkers helped Obsidian," Toby said.  "Finally didn't break outwards.  I think the top three are in the first three places right now."

"Definitely," Austin said.  "Let's just hope that Dak can get this.

The horses ran through the Juvenile extremely well, but into the stretch, things started heating up.

"And they're into the stretch!  Obsidian has given way and Hyrule takes over the lead!  And Hyrule is pulling clear by three lengths!  But Four Dak, the long shot, is coming up on the outside!  Hyrule still there by one and a half!  Four Dak is closing in strongly!

"And the maiden has taken the lead!  Hyrule has been left in second!  Four Dak has taken over and he's starting to pull clear!  Hyrule running along gamely in second and Obsidian is holding onto third!  But it will be Four Dak!  The son of Linx has absolutely rolled home in the Juvenile!  Four Dak has won it by four and a half!"

"He did it!" Harper yelled.  "Oh my gosh he did it!"

"That's how you do it buddy!" Toby yelled.

The team then made their way towards the winners circle, getting stopped along the way by news reporters, but ultimately made it to the winners circle.

...

Later that day while back at the hotel, Harper's phone went off with a text message.  She looked at it in her notifications bar, smile lining her face.

Jasper.

"Congratulations on the big win.  I knew he could do it.  You got a special horse."

She quickly sent him a message back.

"Thank you so much.  This win definitely meant a lot.  He finally broke his maiden in a big way."

She then shut her phone off, but not until after getting another text message.

"Shall we celebrate Monday at lunch to a bowl in the car and some food?"

"Definitely.  See you then."

After shutting her phone off, she fell into a deep sleep, ready for Monday to come around so she could see Jasper, but not ready to deal with Gunner and the other bullies.