Chapter XII

Devin

WAS I A FUCKING BET DEVI ?!?" The guys sped down the hall leaving me with her. I could see her eyes gloss over. She took a deep breath realizing she was at work. "Was I a bet Dev??" She asked more calmly.

Right now I felt like no matter how I answered this she was done with me. Then it hit me that she was still calling me Devi and Dev, maybe I could fix this.

"Mamas-"

"Yes or no??"

I took steps towards her and she stepped back away from me. "Let's not do this in the hall Zen." I gestured towards her office.

"Let's not do this at all. I got a lot of work to make up" she pushed past me and made her way towards the gym.

Before she could even reach the gym I was back in front of her. "Dev" she looked down at the floor "please don't make me hurt anymore than I'm already hurting."

"Baby" I lifted her face up "I promise you it's not as bad as it sounded" I cupped her face in my hand and wiped the tears that tried to fall. "Fuck, I never wanted to be the one to cause your tears."

"Just forget it. It was gonna happen eventually. People warned-"

"Fuck them people! They don't know me" I gently kissed her lips. "I fucked up Z but it's not as bad as you think."

"Was I a bet Devin?" There it was. My full name. She wasn't gonna let me keep avoiding the question.

"Yes."

She removed my hands from her face and entered the gym. "Z" she kept walking and I just kept following. "Maree"

She sat at her usual spot in the corner of the gym. Pulling out her headphones she looked up at me "don't call me that" she said with the meanest look on her face. "Coleman, mamas."

"Goodbye Devin." She put her beats on.

Looking around the gym I spotted Jalen. "J!!"

He placed his hand on my shoulder once I reached him. "Man to man what did I ask you to do? You had one job nigga...Don't fucking hurt her!"

"J bro, that bet was made the first day she got here -"

"The bet shouldn't have been made at all Devin you a grown ass man I shouldn't have to tell you that you don't go around betting on females. The moment you realized you started caring for her she should've me made aware that you started fucking with her under false pretenses."

"Devin called the bet off three days later." Kelly said coming from behind us. "Anything he feels towards her which is a lot clearly, it's real. Also if I'm not mistaken weren't you standing right there when the bet was made I remember you telling Devin you liked his confidence."

Jalen face dropped "fuck" he mumbled

"Exactly so if that's ya sister why tf didn't you bring up the bet to her??"

"Cause I forgot the shit was a bet! A nigga like me got short term memory. Yah know I smoke weed sometimes" he whispered the last part.