Chapter 12 - Sports Fest

Minji's POV

Seeing the empty look in Lewis' eyes few days ago made me remember events that I desperately buried in the back of my mind. Memories that once destroyed and made me. Well in Lewis' case it kind of made him into something better.

His not screwing girls anymore, whenever a girl suggested something he deviates the conversation. He actually went to some of the girls he's been with to talked and apologize. I am starting to look at him in a different view. He is also some how more engaging towards me. He starts a conversation, he throws a joke or two at me which I rarely get because of it's moronic meaning but none the less I was not ignoring him.

I was walking in the hallway stopping infront of my locker. I entered the numbers and opened the door. Gathering the books I needed for my first class somebody tapped my shoulder. I snapped my head towards the hand that touched me. Lewis is standing behind me, he grabbed the books in my hand and gestured me to walk with him. I walked beside him and tried to snatch the books in his arm but swayed it to the opposite direction. "Lewis, what are you doing? Give me my books back, you need to hurry and go to your first class." 

"Nah, i'm good. Don't worry about it besides these books are kinda heavy." He smiled at me.

"I appreciate the fact that you're being a gentleman but a friend shouln't take advantage of the kindness his friends have." I explained to him still trying get my books. He looked at me with a sheepish smile plastered on his face.

" You called me a friend last time I check In-ha is your only friend and the rest of us are just acquiantances." He teased me but I didn't respond not wanting to affirm or deny it. We came to a stop, he gave me my books and stared at me with sparkling eyes as if seeing something he really  like. I raised my eyebrow at him. "What is wrong with you? You'res scaring me with a stupid look in your face." 

"I just realized something. Go on ahead inside, don't mind me."

I turned my heel and trotted in the room sitting next to In-ha. In-ha squinted her eyes at me, pointing her finger between me and the spot where Lewis was standing, she opened her mouth.

"What is happening between you guys? Otoke (what to do), Halmuni sent you here to learn and keep you safe and you're entertaining a man. " she dramatically waves her hands.

"I don't know ask him, he's scaring me already. You know me better than that."

"But you know what, he's been too nice and entertaining to you lately. As if he has to get involve whenever its about you."

" Ku man hae (stop it). Talking nonsense will not help you in anyways." I dismissed her.

The entire time whenever Lewis had the chance to spend time with me, he would either talk to me or stare at me while smiling to himself. This made me feel weird and uncomfortable. That is why I was Happy to get away from him and got into my gym class. In-ha and I went inside the gym, we did some stretching and played basket ball. Basketball is really not that complicated and I like playing the sport so is In-ha. At the end of the class the coach approached us.

"Hwang Minji, you have good arms and ball control girl and Choi In-ha, good in stealing balls and a fast runner." He held is chin and noodded his head. " Have you heard? The sports fest is coming, the girls basketball team is still missing some players and seeing you know your ways in the court, I am excited to offer you a place." He told us.

"Sure sir, when is the event?" In-ha asked excitedly. I on the otherhand am not that jumpy with the idea. " A week from now , how about you Hwang? You will be a good addition to the team." In-ha nudged and pulled my hand, I scratched the area behind my ear and agreed. Atleast I'm gonna earn some points for extra curricular activities. "Yes Sir, no problem."

The next day during lunch, Amy started asking us if it's true about us playing for the basketball team. We affirmed that we are. She told us who we are playing against.  Apparently, the neighboring school will be the rival team. She warned us to be careful especially how the players can be rough and dirty during a game. 

Lewis held my arm with concern in his eyes. "Are you sure you wanna play against East Mountain High? I have seen the game last year,how they play and they have female athletes bigger and taller than you and In-ha." He explained to me. I removed his hand from my arm. " We will be fine Lewis, I will not let myself or In-ha get into a situation that we cannot handle. Just watch the game and cheer for us." I said getting back to my food. He nudged my shoulders.

"You asking me to and watch you play?" He grinned at me. "Friends support each other besides if you have a game I'll come for moral support." He gave me a hearty laugh and everybody in the table watched us with amusement in their eyes.

The day of the sports fest came, Lewis and Thomas gave us ride to the sports gym complex. All the way to the gym, Lewis held a worried look on his face and glancing at me from time to time. Upon arriving at the complex, I held his arm stopping him and letting In-ha and Thomas went on ahead into the gym.

"Lewis, are you feeling sick anywhere?"

"No, i'm fine it's just I kept on thinking you getting crushed and hurt by them. I don't know what to do if..."

"It's fine Lewis, it's okay no need to worry. Look if things came to worse, can I trust you to help me if it makes you feel better but I promise I'll be careful." I comforted him. Lewis did the most unexpected thing, he hugged me and rested his chin on my head. "God, you're taking 20 years off my life span."

"umm, Lewis you can let go now." I said poking his arm and prying him off me.

The game is about to start, I must say Lewis is not kidding when he said they are big. With my 5 feet four inches and In-ha's 5 feet six inches height we look short compared to them.

The referee blowed his whistle which signifies the start of the game. During the jump ball our team took charge of the ball, being the small forward they passed the ball to me. Running through the guards of the opposing team, I bounced the ball through her legs passing it to In-ha and laying it up the ring, scoring for our team. In-ha came running to me giving me high five.

First quarter, second and third quarter ended. We are now at the last quarter, with 72-68 score our team is leading. Althrough out the game I can hear Thomas and Lewis shouting, cheering and waving their hands. That made me smile, they look dorky fan girls. 

It is down to the last 2 minutes, the EMH is trying to step up to win and we have to defend our lead. In-ha intercepted the ball dribbling it but she was blocked by two girls. She doubled back, passed the ball to one of our team mates. She tried to shoot the ball but came short, In-ha ran for a rebound got the ball and passed it to me. Receiving the ball from her, manuevering the ball away from them I stepped outside the three pointer line, I positioned myself, took a deep breath, eyeing the ring I took the shot and it went through the ring perfectly. The crowd went wild, cheering our school's name.

The remaining time was spent trying to defend, offend and score. The final score 75-71, our team won. Everybody rushed in the court jumping and celebrating. Thomas was jumping together with In-ha holding hands together. I was drinking water when somebody crushed me in a hug and lifted me up. Lewis is laughing and jumping with me in his arms, he placed me down still holding me. A guy with short black hair approached me. "Hey number 17, Good game out there." He winked at me and Lewis tighten his hold at me. I saw him scowling at the guy he never let his hold onto me loose until the guy disappeared with his friends.

We exited the gym with the team. They asked us to go with them for a celebration but we politely declined. Too tired to eat and we just wanna rest. Inside the car my phone vibrated, getting it out of my pocket and read the message.

Good to see your starting to have and enjoy teenage life, better enjoy it while it lasts. I'm watching you.

The message got me thinking how they manage to locate me. I was not scared, I am used to threats. It's just a matter of time before they get more aggressive. I better call Halmuhni and Secretary Park. 

A/N: Another chapter, another revelation. I am excited to unravel Lewis' feeling for Minji. What will Minji do with the impending danger, what will Lewis do if he finds out? See you next chapter guys.