7- Mum?

Alexis POV

Dad was taken into surgery to hopefully help his heart.

It all happened so fast. One minute we were in the garage, then next in an ambulance.

I didn't know what to do with myself and sat in the small, private waiting room waiting for any news. If this surgery went well, then there was still only a slight chance for him to make it.

I sat on the padded chairs, still in my pyjamas from last night, my chin resting on my knees as I hugged my legs closer to myself.

The room wasn't very bright, just plain white wash walls and a glass window that saw out into the rest of the hospital.

The only bright thing in the room was a small painting that hung crookedly on the wall across from me. It was of a river with a man and a woman in a row boat.

It reminded me of the time on the river with Sammy and Jack.

Jack would be here soon, I couldn't be alone in this small room with only my thoughts for long.

Trying to clear the heavy thinking from my mind I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Everything was going to be okay.

Dad was going to make it. Jack would be here soon and I wouldn't have to think about moving in with my Aunt and her twin two year olds.

I heard the door open and stayed where I was, my eyes still closed, knowing it was Jack.

I waited for him to hug me or sit next to me but it felt like I had waited for ever until I finally let myself peek.

An army print caught my eye and I opened my eyes fully.

Polished combat boots, green camouflage pants and marching top finished with that painstakingly familiar warm smile.

I slowly stood up, warm tears of pure joy starting to spill onto my cheeks.

"Mum?" I spluttered out, falling into the arm of the woman that I had longed to see for what felt like forever.

"Yes, sweetie. I'm home." She said, hugging me tight, her own tears visible. She stroked the back of my head in that motherly fashion as I tried to control my breathing.

I was both happy and sad at the same time.

They wouldn't have called mum home unless dad was on the edge of death.

***

After the slight awkwardness of the first time meeting my mum, Jack and her got on well. She did ask him a lot of questions though.

"How old are you?"

"How did you meet?"

"Are you Mexican?"

We did have to sneak him into the waiting room though because only family was allowed.

The door opened and the doctor that talk to me before stood there with a clipboard.

He sat down across from the three of us, eyeing Jack suspiciously and cleared his throat.

Jack squeezed my waist tighter, making sure I know that he would be there for me.

"The surgery went well and Scott was been recovering slowly. But, there is still a slight chance that he might not make it."