9- Wish

"I'm just saying, Diane, if she wants to go and travel she can. She doesn't have to go straight from graduating to college."

"I know that Scott, but it's hard to get back in the routine of studying after a gap year."

I stayed in my stealthy position in the middle of the staircase listening to my parents argue.

Mums only been here for a month they are already talking about college.

I put in applications last year, but I never got any replies.

Mum said it takes them a few months to process it, but it's been that long that I'd forgotten what ones I applied to.

I hated it when my parents fought, I'm sure everyone does.

But mums been different since Afghanistan. They say war can change people, but she's just so distant sometimes.

The other day I walked into the bathroom to her crying, telling me about the things she'd seen and the things she's had to do to secure the safety of her and her country.

She said she even accidentally shot a small innocent boy. I don't think I'd be able to live with myself.

My parents continued to bicker and yell about everything and anything until I'd had enough.

Quietly, I grabbed a jacket and slipped on my converse and walked outside.

I just wanted to get out of the house.

I started to walk down the dark street towards the small shopping complex. Lately, I'd had a craving for Starbucks.

I ordered my coffee and sat down, loving the free wifi.

I sipped my coffee named Alexiss, scrolling through Instagram as normal, when a random boy sat down in front of me.

I looked at him, noticing it was the boy that served me and he gave me the most heart melting grin.

He was about my age with light brown hair and tan skin. He had dark blue eyes and a warm smile.

I smiled back, not wanting to be rude, but he did just sit at my table.

You can't sit with me.

I don't like sitting with strangers.

"Did I spell your name correctly?" He asked suddenly.

"Uh, no. Only one 's'." I said, taking another sip wishing the attractive boy would leave.

"Oh sorry. It's a pretty name, I didn't want to get it wrong." He said, slightly disappointed.

"It's fine." I said, wondering what the point of this conversation was. Was it part of the new Starbucks worker policy or something?

"Would you like an extra sweetener? I can get you one. A sweet girl like you deserves a little sugar."

I almost choked on my drink.

"She only likes one sugar thanks bro. So you can get back to spitting in people's drinks now because Alexiss has a boyfriend." I watched the boy shrink in fear, his eyes wide as he stared behind me.

I turned to see Jack, smiling angrily to the boy as he scampered off, almost tripping over a chair.

"So what's the go with Starbucks workers?" He said, gesturing for me to follow him.

I laughed quietly as I jumped from my chair to join him outside.

"He was nice, it's not like he asked for my bra or anything." I said.

"Well, your not allowed in public anymore with douchebags like him flirting with you." Jack said, so seriously if he didn't laugh after it I would have thought he wasn't joking.

"Get in. I'm talking you somewhere." He said, unlocking his car.

"Your kidnapping me now?" I asked.

"Hmm. We'll see." He said, humming.