Chapter Four

To my utter shock, my mom wasn't vehemently opposed to the idea of me staying out late. 

I told her about the Orinoid, pretending like I was super interested in the celestial fireworks rather than the company I would have. My mom seemed to go through a lot in the two minutes that I put my case in front of her. At first, her lips were a stern, thin line, her arms crossed in front of her chest. The next step was her sighing and placing a hand against her cheek as if thinking. The third was her looking at my dad who lay sprawled on the sofa and gazing intently at the television. 

Finally, she nodded. "Okay, honey. Just please take care and promise me that you won't get into trouble?"

Archer Wilde and trouble? Those two were as different as two peas in a pod. 

"I'll be okay mom," I said, my heart hammering in anticipation. I hadn't lied to her. I would be okay, even if I didn't stay out of trouble. I thanked her and ran up to my bedroom, pulling my backpack out as I started packing in whatever I thought I would require. I took two blankets, a bottle of water, a power bank which was hopefully charged enough, my phone charger and earphones. I made a trip downstairs to the kitchen where my dad was now yelling at some news guy on the television. 

I opened the refrigerator and took a carton of orange juice. I decided to make some sandwiches for good measure. Knowing Ace, he would most probably turn up without any preparation whatsoever and it would be up to me to make sure we were warm and fed. I took some eggs and mint mayo, smiling slightly to myself as I quickly made a few sandwiches.

I sat on my bed at ten-thirty that night, jiggling my foot nervously. As excited as I was to see the actual shower, there was no denying how scared I was. But it was a beautiful kind of nervousness. One that made me want to throw up out of joy. 

Around quarter to eleven, I made my way downstairs. My parents had retired into their bedrooms and my mom had told me to lock the door on my way out. It was a two-way lock, so even if they woke up before I did, they would be able to open the door from the inside. 

I opened the front door and stepped out, pulling the cap of my hoodie lower over my head. It was colder than I had expected and I was glad for the two quilts in my backpack. A soft, gentle breeze that hadn't gotten chilly yet greeted me and I took in a deep breath, gazing up at the raven sky. I was inadvertently reminded of Ace's hair and how it still seemed darker. 

My heart fluttered as I heard a familiar sound. A single honk and turned my gaze to the familiar black car slowing down near the driveway. I grinned and sprinted up to it. 

"You're early," I said as I slipped into the passenger seat. 

"Yeah, I just..." Ace sighed and I glanced at him, surprised to see that he still wore the half-sleeved t-shirt he had earlier that day. "I almost cancelled."