Chapter Eleven

If anyone wanted to leave school in the middle of the day, they would have to have a parent or guardian pick them up. However, with Ace, I knew it would be easy for him to persuade the principle considering she already had a soft spot for him. An orphan living with his stepmother, working after school and practically raising his half-sister- Ace knew the principle wouldn't try to stop him. 

In a way, perhaps he was flouting their sympathy. 

I, on the other hand, was stuck till the last period when I finally stepped out of the building into the now chilly late afternoon. I spotted Burnwood with his friends standing a little further from me and turned around immediately. Apart from an apology, he hadn't talked to me after the rave party. And neither had I told him anything. I was completely fine with taking that incident with me to my grave. 

I decided to walk just so I wouldn't have to take the bus, as a result of which it took me more than half an hour to reach Ace's place. He might be at work, but seeing the state he was in, I was sure he wouldn't be able to. 

I rang the doorbell and a few seconds later, the door opened to reveal Allie who grinned up at me. "Miles! Hi!"

She had a paintbrush in her hand, some green paint at the tip of her nose and her hair in a scraggly ponytail. 

"Been painting have you, Allie?" I asked, smiling back at her.

She stepped back and nodded. "Yes! I'm making a misterpiece!"

I laughed. "Masterpiece I suppose."

She scrunched up her nose as if contemplating my words before she bolted away and towards the end of the corridor, where her room was located. As soon as I entered, I became aware of the soft sound of the television playing from the living room to my left. I opened the door and stepped into the living room, relief flooding through me when I saw Ace lying on the couch, leaning against the armrest. He was covered in a thick blanket, the bright colour of the television screen reflecting off his brilliant irises before his eyes finally met mine. 

"Milo," he spoke with a soft smile. "Hey."

"Hey," I said. I walked over to him and glanced at the television to see that he was watching Shrek. The first part, since Fiona was still a human. "How're you feeling?"

"Fucking trash," he whispered hoarsely before straightening up. "You can sit."

I bit my lip and nodded before sitting on the couch beside him. "Do you have a fever?" I asked gently. He shook his head and sighed. 

"Are you hungry?" I glanced at the half-eaten plate of nachos on the table. "I can make some real food if you want." 

He chuckled softly. "No."

I wanted to comfort him somehow, but I didn't know how to. Before I could offer anything else, however, he spoke, "Just stay quiet. Be with me."

I nodded, more than happy to just be with him. Much to my surprise, he leaned into me, placing his arms around and burying his face in my chest. He pulled the blanket onto us so I was enveloped by its warmth as well. My heart hammered rapidly and I was sure he would hear it.