Chapter Twenty Two

It turns out, I hadn't been bluffing

With the sound of the lapping water acting as a lullaby, the feeling of Ace's warmth around me and his gentle breathing, it wasn't long before I dozed off. 

"You wanna go back?" he asked softly, breaking through the haze as I nodded. "Yeah, okay."

We rose to our feet, his hand gripping mine as he slowly led me towards the car. I staggered a bit on the uneven ground but was quite impressed that I was able to reach the car without embarrassing myself. I slid into the passenger seat, slumping backwards gratefully as he entered and revved up the engine. 

My eyelids fluttered shut of their own accord, the gentle hum of the engine and the familiar scent of Ace's car oddly comforting. I wasn't sure if I was simply exhausted from everything that was happening, or it was just the whisky. But my brain for once felt too tired to be bothered about anything. 

I was jolted awake after a while when Ace gently touched my arm. 

"Hey, we're home," he said. I nodded and straightened up, the dizziness somewhat lesser than it had been before. In the grand scheme of things, I was thankful I hadn't thrown up. 

"Is it okay if you stay here tonight?" Ace asked softly and I squinted my eyes to glance at the car window, realizing that we were at his place. 

"Yeah," I nodded. "I...I don't think my mom would like me very tipsy anyway."

Guilt racked my insides when I relived our conversation earlier that evening. But I too, had already made my decision.  

We stepped out of the car and quietly made our way over to the main door. Ace held my hand, gently rubbing the back of it as he reached for his keys. I stood still as he unlocked the door and we stepped into the semi-darkness of the hallway. He glanced around for a while, as if to make sure we hadn't woken anyone up and then shut the door behind us. 

A single light flickered softly at the very end of the narrow hallway, the rest of the house was eerily quiet. I had no way to tell the time, except that it was perhaps an hour past midnight considering how long ago I had left home. 

He led me upstairs into his bedroom. I stood near the doorway while he went and sat on the bed, grinning at me. "You can sleep here."

I nodded. I walked over and crawled onto the bed, lying on my stomach and placing the pillow under my head. I sighed and buried my face into it, the sweet, seductive scent I was so familiar with lulling me into comfort. 

"Okay," I said, my voice muffled. He said something else, but I didn't really hear anything. I felt his hand gently stroking my hair before the enigmatic darkness lured me into her embrace.

*

I woke up suddenly after what felt like a few hours. I was still lying in the exact same position as I had fallen asleep. I remained disoriented for a while as the drowsiness slowly faded. I turned to my side, my eyes struggling to adjust to the darkness. My heart skipped a beat when I saw Ace sitting beside me, leaning against the headrest, his legs outstretched in front of him. His face aglow with a light emanating from the phone in his hands. It took me a while to realize he had earphones on.