Chapter Nineteen

I tried to make an apologetic face at Celia before making my way upstairs and following him. I heard the door banging shut and sped up, wondering if he would lock his door. I reached the first-floor landing and pulled the door handle, surprised to find that it wasn't locked. I took a deep breath and slowly opened the door, peering inside. 

"Ace?"

There was no response. 

I stepped inside and shut the door behind me, finally spotting the top of his head near the bed. He sat on the floor, leaning on the side of the bed, gazing at the window as he remained still. I walked over to him and quietly sat beside him, crossing my legs. We were silent for a long time as I struggled to find words of comfort, coming up empty-handed instead. 

I could understand why this would be difficult for him to accept. It would be a massive change for him. Not to say that he would have to either leave this town or leave his family, or whatever he had left of it. 

"I'll come to visit you," I said softly, trying to ignore the pain in my heart. 

He shut his eyes and took a deep breath before speaking slowly. "I'm not leaving."

"Ace...I...I think she does have a plan in mind-"

"I. Am. Not. Leaving." He finished, his jaw clenched. "Okay?"

"Maybe...if you try to get to know him-" I began like a moron. 

"Shut the fuck up," he said, glaring at me. "So you're with them too? You think I'm wrong?"

"I...I just think-"

"If you're so desperate for me to go then, alright. I'll leave Haywood. I won't be such a burden on you."

I felt like he had stabbed my heart. I was shocked into silence for a while. 

"That's...not what I mean," I sighed, leaning against the bedstead as he remained silent. 

"I mean...maybe in a way it is going to be better. At least...if Dave turns out to be the guy Celia thinks he is, Allie will have a proper guardian. You know, instead of a drunk, good for nothing, half-blind half brother," he rubbed his face and sighed as I felt another pang in my heart. 

"He's...he's not going to take your place, Ace," I said softly, realizing why he was so upset. "You're over analyzing."

He scoffed. "Yeah sure. What the fuck will I even do? I'm a fucking liability even now. They'll just be better off without me."

"You're not a liability, Ace," I said calmly, placing my hand on his knee as I continued. "Celia just wants to move on. Find love. Make a family. This has nothing to do with you. Allie is still going to be your sister."

"I can't...I can't do it, Miles," he whispered softly, his voice trembling. "I'm too weak. I can't just ...leave this house. This is the only place I have ever been happy in. The only place I've ever had parents. Any memories of a family. I can't...I can't just leave."