Chapter Twenty One

I couldn't get my mom's words out of my head. 

It was true, that the Miles I knew a few months ago would've never dreamt about lying to his parents and sneaking out at night.  Would've never gone to violent concerts, would've never even held a cigarette, and yet, here I was. Was I trying too hard? For Ace's sake?

"You okay?" 

My reverie was broken as Ace looked at me from the corner of his eye. I nodded diligently. "Yeah. Just..."I trailed off, not knowing how to end. He thankfully didn't pester me after that and for a while, we drove silently through the city. The sky above was clear, littered with a million sparkles of light. 

"How are things...at your place?" I asked slowly, hoping against hope that things had settled down with Celia. 

He shrugged. "I don't know. I haven't seen her since."

I stared at him. "What..do you mean you haven't seen her since?"

He shrugged again. "I just go to my room and sleep. Sometimes."

"Are you starving yourself again?" I asked, my heart sinking. 

"Sometimes," he repeated, clenching his jaw. "It's okay though. I should get used to it anyway."

"Did she say? What she'll do with the house?" I asked reluctantly. I knew he had a short temper during situations like these and could flare up at any moment. 

"She'll have to kill me if she wants to sell it," he said, gritting his teeth. 

"What if she moves? Takes...Allie with her?" I asked, forcing myself to look at the empty road as I waited in dread for his answer. 

"What if she does?" he said and I felt his gaze burning into me. "I told you I'm not moving."

I heaved a soft sigh of relief. Even though I didn't want to leave Ace, I knew that staying away from his sister might not be the best for him. In spite of the way he argued with Celia, he cared for Allie deeply. In a way, it felt like he was trying to fill in for their dad. And failing miserably at that by ruining himself instead. 

"Plus...you were right. Allie should stay with Dave. Like...he has an actual job and a real home. She deserves a real family. Even if I'm not part of it," his voice cracked on the last word and he quickly cleared his throat as I felt my own clog up with overwhelming emotions. Sorrow. Helplessness. There he was again, speaking like he was worthless. Like he didn't care what happened to him. 

"Where're we going?" I asked in an attempt to change the topic. 

He shrugged. "I don't really know. Is that okay?"

He turned to look at me. I nodded almost instinctively. I felt like there wasn't anything Archer Wilde couldn't make me do. And honestly, the thought was a little worrying.