Chapter Fourteen

I was glad I was seventeen

The federal system said I couldn't be arrested and put into adult prison till I was eighteen. Although Ace assured me that I was overthinking, I had to be prepared for all the adversities in life. Especially when I was with him.  

"This is beautiful. For once, I can actually see why people love coming here," he sighed as we strolled deeper between the throes of colourful petals. Flowers of all shapes and sizes gently swayed in the soft breeze. The colours were blindingly bright, and for a second, I was worried it would hurt Ace's eyes. But there was no way I was going to bring that up.

The entire valley was a massive open field littered with blooming flowers. From my previous visits there,  I knew that the restrooms and a few small restaurants were located on the eastern side of the field, opposite where we were. 

"Yes," I nodded. "It is pretty."

"You're so stiff. Can you relax a little?" Ace nudged my elbow gently, peering at me.

"I am much relaxed," I replied assuringly and nodded at him again even as my eyes kept scanning the field to make sure the authorities wouldn't find us. Even though I didn't expect security to be particularly tight around here, I didn't want to get into any trouble.  

He giggled, "I believe that."

He held my hand as we wandered around for a while. It was strange how natural it felt. 

'I love you, Miles.'

He had said it with such surety. Even more surety than with which I could ever tell myself. Did I love him too? And why had I reacted so weirdly? Maybe I should have thanked him instead?

I took in a deep breath, the sweet scent of the flowers wafting to my nose and making me slightly heady. The wind flew gently, the petals of the flowers waving slightly in the breeze. 

"If I rat you out, I apologize in advance," I murmured as he giggled again. 

"I love how positive you are." He sat down on a clear patch of grass, surrounded by tall, violet flowers that would perhaps almost completely obscure us from vision. A plus, in case the keepers decided to stroll in. The place was deserted, something that would have intimidated me, but somehow, I was highly amused by Ace lying flat on his back and gazing up at me, his eyes twinkling. 

Was it normal to be so happy when breaking the law?

"You worry me, Archer Wilde," I said, shaking my head as I sat cross-legged next to him. He turned his head slightly towards me, a blissful, lazy smile playing on his lips. 

"Let go a little, Milo," he sighed and took a deep breath before groaning softly. "Now I kinda wish I'd have been here before."

"It hasn't changed at all you know," I said, gazing around at the soft naked tint of the sun lighting up the colours around. "Just as pristine."