4. INFERIORITY COMPLEX

The next day, Gene's annoyances with Ron had soon worn off, and she was now thrilled to be visiting Fred and George's brand new joke shop that they had opened on Diagon Alley.

Gene walked a few paces ahead of Ron and Harry, Hermione and Ginny on either side of her as they talked amongst themselves.

"I haven't seen you this happy in a while." Hermione commented with good intentions, offering a smile which Gene managed to return, shrugging her shoulders a little.

"I always knew you had a thing for Fred." Ginny commented, causing Gene's eyes to shoot wide open at the accusation, feeling her cheeks flush.

"What?" she exclaimed, "No, I don't." she uttered, before realising the pair were only doing this to rile her up.

"Are you sure?" Hermione asked, an eyebrow lifting, "I mean, we always thought–"

"What's this about Fred?" Harry pried his way into the conversation, causing Gene to turn to face them, only to be met with a sour expression across Ron's features. She turned back, cursing herself and Ginny and Hermione while she was at it.

"Nothing! There's nothing going on with Fred. Look– we're here!" Gene quickly changed the subject, pointing at the animatronic of a man lifting a hat outside the shop.

Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, the sign outside read, Gene smiling as she watched ten kids enter and leave the shop at a time. It was evidently going well, though it didn't surprise Gene much with how much profit they made last year in school. They entered the shop, larger on the inside than it seemed, though there were so many customers that they were practically packed sardine-tight in the store.

It was utter madness.

Ever-Bashing Boomerangs whipped through the air, with Dr. Filibuster's Fabulous Wet-Start No-Heat fireworks spitting sparks overhead. Gene finally spotted Fred and George standing at the very top of the stairs, waving her over with wide grins.

"What d'you think, Genie?" Fred asked, rounding the pillar as Gene climbed the stairs to meet them halfway.

She glanced around at the busy store, smiles on each and every single customers face, hearing the ding of the register with each purchase. Though she knew it wasn't for the money.

"It's amazing." she watched a firework pass her in awe and nodded, more than impressed.

"We couldn't have done it without you, kid." George nudged her in the side and she rolled her eyes playfully, shaking her head. "You, or Harry."

It was partially true. After Harry had given the twins his Tri-Wizard winnings, it gave Gene an idea. She had quite a bit in her savings in Gringott's from her mother and now, from Sirius. It wasn't like she needed all of it anyways. With Gene's final bit of help, the twins finally had the money to start the shop up.

"No." Gene shook her head, "You guys did this all on your own." she smiled.

They didn't have the words, not being very good at expressing their feelings usually, and so they did what they did best. They pulled her into a hug one after the other, each lifting her off the ground due to their towering heights, causing Gene to burst into laughter.

"Come on– I'll show you around." Fred placed an arm around Gene's shoulder, leading her down the stairs to the bottom floor where the rest of the group were.

They joined Harry as he eyed a display of orange and black lumps glimmering under the white lights of the shop.

"Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder?" Harry read the label aloud.