18. I HAVE ALSO SEEN YOU

Gene hardly slept that night, or the nights that followed for up to a week. She tossed and turned, haunted by the conversation that Dumbledore held in his office that fateful night, the look on Harry's face afterwards.

He seemed to be avoiding her as best as he could, even when they had classes together and using detentions as an excuse. Gene wasn't entirely sure if he was angry at her or frustrated at her for keeping her knowledge to herself.

It seemed to be the only piece of knowledge that Dumbledore hadn't known. Then again, she thought, he also might have known the entire time.

However, after a successful Quidditch match that had to go on without Gryffindor's beloved team captain, she seemed to see a lot more of him, his anger slowly ebbing away and Gene thought it best not to complain.

A message had been brought to Gene and Harry in the Great Hall at dinner one evening, evidently from Dumbledore. A burst of curiosity and excitement had travelled through Gene's body, finding herself anticipating the hunt for the Horcrux.

Ron and Hermione followed them outside of the Great Hall, almost as if to send them off, like it was their very first day of school again. It gave Gene a funny feeling in her stomach, the nostalgia enveloping her in a warm hug.

"Please be careful, you two." Hermione muttered, eyes trained on the ground as she couldn't quite bring herself to look either in the eye.

"Of course, Hermione." Gene said, managing a small smile and that seemed to ease her nerves slightly. "We'll see you soon, anyways."

"We'll be fine. We'll be with Dumbledore." Harry did his best to assure her.

Ron looked as though he wanted to say something, quite a lot of things, in fact, but his mouth seemed to have been glued shut as he watched Gene with a sort of longing stare, one she had never in a million years imagined she would see on his face.

The same look she saw when Harry looked at Ginny.

"Bring her back, won't you, Harry?" Ron finally spoke, his voice quiet but Gene had heard.

Harry nodded firmly, not saying a word more as they silently said their goodbyes. A faint smile passed Gene's lips as she gave Ron one final look, before following Harry to the Astronomy Tower, where they were to meet Dumbledore.

They were halfway up the steps by now before Harry had suddenly shushed her, placing a finger to his lips as he held a protective arm over her front. Gene hesitated on the steps, waiting by Harry's side as footsteps grew louder and Snape appeared before them.

He faltered briefly at the sight of them, before continuing on without a word. As his footsteps faded, Gene and Harry ascended to the upper tier of the tower. Of course, Dumbledore was well aware of their presence before he turned, the ghost of a smile at his lips.

"You need a shave, my friend." he nodded to Harry, who mustered a small smile, running a hand over his face. "And you need some heels, my dear."

Dumbledore held back his smile as he looked at Gene, causing her to smile widely, unable to hide hers.

"At times I forget how much you've both grown. At times, I still see the small boy from the cupboard." he smiled, "I see the young girl who fell down the stairs on her first day of school." he lifted an eyebrow at Gene and her cheeks flushed with embarrassment, shaking her head, "Forgive my mawkishness. I am an old man." he finished.

Gene couldn't help but wonder if there was a reason for his being so sentimental. Usually, that was never a good sign. But given the trip they were about to have, she figured it wasn't a good time to mention it.