12. GHOST OF CHRISTMAS FUTURE

Gene cursed under her breath as she tracked the Hogwarts Express, peering into each and every carriage on either side of her, looking for her incredibly disobedient cat. It was typical of Stella to have escaped her carriage, while Gene caught up on the sleep she never got last night.

She was up late, busy thinking about what Harry had overheard Snape and Draco discussing. At first, Harry had been reluctant to share what he heard, knowing Gene would feel guilty and maybe even blame herself. He was right in thinking that, but more importantly, she felt worse for not believing him.

She should have known better and yet, she still couldn't find herself hating Draco. He wasn't his father, she repeated to herself. He was only doing as his family told him. Gene remembered Harry's words again– Snape's exact words. An Unbreakable Vow, the thought of one sending chills down her spine.

The next thing to have given Gene the chills, was the heart etched into the fog of one carriage window in particular, the letters 'R + L' making her grimace. As she looked further into the carriage, she saw the familiar black fur, except she was curled up in Ron's lap, to Gene's complete and utter frustration.

Harry and Hermione gave her a smile and wave through the window, almost unaware of the tension between her and Ron for a moment before it hit them, Harry's hand lowering slowly as Hermione averted her gaze. Gene stared at Stella, her eyes on Gene's own for a few moments before she nuzzled further into Ron's arms.

Her lips parted in shock and betrayal, eyes narrowed at Ron and he swallowed hard, glancing between Stella and Gene at a loss. Gene exhaled sharply, turning away and heading back to her carriage where she sat with Lorelai and Finn.

It was pointless, really, Gene continuing to ignore Ron, especially considering she would be spending Christmas in his house with his family. She could admit that she might have been in the wrong here. Ron didn't owe her anything. She told herself this before school started, and she would tell herself that now. It didn't mean it hurt any less, though.

As they walked toward the Burrow, their trunks and Stella trailing lazily behind, Gene squinted as she made out a familiar figure outside. Her eyes widened, a laugh passing her lips as she ran forward, straight into her aunts arms.

Aurelia caught her, burrowing her face into her nieces hair, her eyes shutting in pure contentment and joy. She pressed a kiss to Gene's forehead, pulling away as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, cupping her face in her hands.

"Hello, bug." she said, her eyes glassy before pulling her into a tighter hug, "You still haven't made up with Ron?" she asked quietly and  Gene froze, pulling away as she narrowed her eyes at her nosy aunt.

"Leave it, Aure." she said.

Then, before Aurelia could ask more questions, Gene went to the second figure, arms pulling around Lupin in a tight hug and he returned it, chuckling as he rubbed her back. After Sirius' death, Gene found herself feeling that much closer to Lupin. He certainly was glad for it.

"You must be hungry. Hello, boys." he said, Gene pulling away to quickly head straight inside.

She thought she was safe for a good minute, before she was bombarded by the twins, to her delight. She laughed as Fred picked her up, nearly swinging her over his shoulder as she hit his back in defiance, with Mrs. Weasley yelling at him from the kitchen to be careful, reminding the twins she was only little.

"I'm not that little anymore, Mrs. Weasley." Gene called back, earning herself a laugh from the rest of the Weasley family.

Fred finally lowered her to the ground and she stabilised herself, eyes widening at the sight of two figures that had joined them in the living room.