9. OPPUGNO

The following day had Gene a little more excited than usual she usually was, especially before eight in the morning.

She caught up with Ron on the way to the Great Hall for breakfast, finding herself smiling more than once. He seemed to have calmed down since the last time she had seen him, and she was glad for it.

"That's three times you've smiled at me now." Ron suddenly said, walking rather stiffly beside her due to his Quidditch uniform. "That must be a record, or something."

"I'm excited, Ron." Gene nudged him gently in the side, though from the way he reacted, you'd have thought she pushed him over. "This is your first proper match." she smiled up at him, before walking ahead as she spotted Harry and Hermione opposite one another.

Gene sat beside Harry, eyeing him almost as if to ask about last night, and from the look he gave her, it meant it wasn't a total disaster, but they could do better. She could work with that.

"So. How was it?" Ron slumped into the seat in front of Harry, weary from the pressure of the big match.

"How was what?" Hermione asked, her eyes not lifting from the paper she held in her hands.

"Your dinner party." Ron said, almost mocking, causing Gene to roll her eyes.

"Dead boring. Though I think Harry enjoyed dessert." Gene raised an eyebrow, watching Harry's cheeks flush. "Anyways, Slughorn's having a Christmas party, and since we're meant to bring someone–"

Truth be told, Gene had only been in such a good mood by the time Ron found her because she'd been up much earlier than that. She'd received another owl from Slughorn, inviting them to a sort of Christmas gathering, where they were allowed to invite a plus one.

"I expect you'll be going with McLaggen. Isn't he a member of the Slug Club?" Ron returned rather bitterly. "Or maybe, you'll take Finn Maddox."

Gene scoffed, "My God, Ron," she rolled her eyes, "You should leave Finn out of this." she said, finding that he evidently hadn't moved past Ginny's words from the other week.

"So I was right? You're taking him then?" Ron sneered.

"I was going to ask you, Ron." Gene frowned, causing his head to shoot up, "But since you're being such an arsehole about it, I think I will ask Finn." she said with finality, shoving her fork into a piece of sausage very aggressively.

Before Ron could open his mouth to say anything further, he had been interrupted.

"Good luck today, Ron! I know you'll be brilliant!" Lavender leant across from the table behind them and tapped him on the shoulder with a smile, clearly infatuated.

Ron smiled back feebly before looking back down at his plate, nerves overwhelming him. Meanwhile, Gene stared daggers into Lavender's back as she turned back to her seat. She even caught a glimpse of Padma and Parvati offering her a sympathetic glance.

"I'm resigning. After today's match. McLaggen can have my spot." Ron said, his voice wavering.

"Don't be ridiculous, Ron." Gene muttered, despite their minor argument earlier, before looking to Harry for some words of encouragement.

"Have it your way." Harry said, "Juice?" he placed a small cup before Ron and Gene and Hermione blinked at him, surprised by his callousness.

"Sure." Ron seemed surprised himself, if not a little put out.

"Hello, everyone." Luna approached, taking a seat beside Gene who smiled at her patriotic lion hat, "You look dreadful, Ron. Is that why you just put something in his cup?" she turned to Harry, causing Gene to glance over, "Is it a tonic?" she asked.