14. I JUST KNEW

Gene attempted to talk herself up as she made her way to Slughorn's classroom the following morning. Her hands were clammy with nerves as the bell rang, a group of first-years beginning to rush out of the room.

Slughorn's voice called after them, "Now don't forget to look over the chapter on antidotes. I'll be poisoning one of you next time we meet. I'm joking! Off you go! Don't forget your rattails, Alys."

Some of them looked slightly alarmed, scurrying out faster until finally passing by Gene, and giving her passage to enter the room quietly. Slughorn rifled through his briefcase, humming under his breath before realising he had company.

"Genevieve! To what do I owe the pleasure?" he spun on his heel, a wide smile taking over.

Gene stepped further into the classroom, wringing her hands, "Well, sir, I wondered if I might ask you something." she said.

"Ask away, my dear, ask away!" he gestured, a smile still visible.

He seemed enthusiastic, Gene noticed. She wondered if he'd still be the same in a few moments, as she recalled Tom Riddle's exact words all those years ago.

"Well, you see, the other day I was in the Restricted Section in the library, and I stumbled upon something rather odd while reading. Something about a bit of rare magic–" she said quietly, noticing the smile on his face fading slightly.

"Yes? And exactly what was this rare magic." Slughorn asked warily.

"I'm not sure. That is, I don't recall the name, exactly. But it got me wondering– are there some kinds of magic you're not allowed to teach?" Gene asked, stepping further into the room as Slughorn looked up, eyeing her very carefully.

"I'm a Potions Professor, Genevieve. Perhaps your question would best be posed to Professor Snape." he returned curtly and it was clear he was facing some discomfort. Gene had to go on.

"Yes, well, Professor Snape isn't much fond of me, sir." Gene shrugged, "What I mean to say is, he's not like you. He might- misunderstand." she said as recognition flickered in Slughorn's eyes.

A glint of fear.

"There can be no light without the dark. And so it is with magic." he returned, a stern look upon his face now, "Myself, I have always strived to live within the light. I suggest you do the same." he gathered his briefcase and began to exit the room.

Gene had no choice as she turned to follow him and say, "Did you say the same thing to Tom Riddle, sir? When he came asking questions."

Slughorn froze in the doorway, staying like that for a moment before going to slowly turn, facing Gene now.

"Dumbledore put you up to this. Didn't he? Didn't he!" he exclaimed, his face going nearly red with anger.

Gene faltered, nearly flinching, "Sir–" she was prepared to apologise until Slughorn silenced her with an upraised hand, and without another word, he was gone.

Outside, Lorelai was waiting for Gene and the news of her failed mission, which Harry had so kindly told her of. Lorelai was well informed of the group's endeavours over the years, especially Gene and Harry's in particular. She was the most trustworthy person any of them knew, beside each other.

"You honestly thought you could convince him to reveal one of his deepest, darkest secrets on his lunch break?" Lorelai asked in disbelief as they walked down to the common rooms, "I mean, you're pretty, Gene, don't get me wrong. But you're gonna have to try a bit harder with a Professor."

Gene scoffed lightly, giving Lorelai a sidelong glare as she shook her head.

"You've got experience, have you?" Gene raised an eyebrow, smiling as Lorelai elbowed her in the side. "Besides, it doesn't matter. It's Harry's turn next." she grinned in triumph, while Lorelai rolled her eyes.