20. OPHELIA AND I

"Come on,"

Ron murmured, his voice gentle and soft and reassuring and though she didn't want to leave Dumbledore's side, not just yet, she found herself doing as Ron said, his arms guiding her to stand.

One of his held her right hand firmly, applying pressure as she was soon reminded of the stabbing pain that ran through it. Gene felt herself walking alongside him, though she didn't know where he was leading her as they climbed the stairs into the Entrance Hall.

She was met with bursts of whispers and stares, young voices crying out into the night and her heart twinged as she couldn't bring herself to look anywhere but the ground. Her other hand clutched the Horcrux tight before she thought to place it in her pocket, keeping it hidden until she found Harry.

"Harry," she said quietly, the first thing in what felt like hours and she tried to pull Ron to a stop, "I don't know where–"

"We're going to the hospital wing. He'll be there." Ron reassured her, his thumb tracing the back of her hand like it had always been there.

Gene didn't say anything further as Ron pushed past the large oak doors, revealing a great group of familiar faces, all crowded around a hospital bed. Their heads whipped around, turning to find out who had entered and Gene heard a cry, saw the blur of a figure rush towards her before feeling arms pull her into an incredibly close hug.

She hadn't the energy to return it, not after everything, but as she inhaled the familiar scent of sage and bergamot– she knew she was home.

Gene let go of Ron for a moment, arms coming around Aurelia just as tightly as she cried against her shoulder, feeling her stomach turning at the thought of ever losing her aunt.

"Oh, God," Aurelia sobbed.

She pulled away to cup Gene's face in her hands, brushing away tears with her thumbs and pushing her hair out of her eyes in overwhelming relief. Gene had never felt more riddled with grief and relief at once upon seeing Aurelia.

"Are you okay?" she asked, to which Gene nodded because nothing hurt as much as her heart did at that moment, and it wasn't as though Madam Pomfrey had a cure for that.

"She's hurt," Ron said, "her hand– she cut it badly." he continued before Aurelia brought him into a hug, pressing a kiss to the top of his head in a gesture of thanks.

Aurelia pulled away, gesturing for them to follow her and they neared the hospital bed, Hermione let go of Finn's hand as she ran at Gene to make the distance; throwing her arms around Gene, her face burrowed into the crook of her neck and they held one another for some time.

Finn approached, bringing Gene into a brief but assuring hug before stepping back to Hermione's side.

Next, came Lupin who sighed audibly in relief as he pressed a light kiss to her head, with Lorelai following after him. Gene began to cry again, feeling Lorelai's hot tears seep through her clothes as they held each other close. Something about hugging Lorelai Craft had always felt euphoric to Gene, and she was more grateful than ever to have her at this very moment.

Gene finally saw Harry at Ginny's side, unable to shed anymore tears as her head fell against his shoulder, his arms wrapping around her with caution, and she held on tighter than she ever thought possible.

Then, Gene felt Ron's hand trail down her forearm before finding her uninjured hand, taking it in his own as their fingers interlocked firmly– it seemed very clear to Gene at that moment that Ron didn't plan on letting go again.

She caught sight of Bill laying motionless in the hospital bed, his face slashed and torn at as Mrs. Weasley and Fleur sat together at his bedside. As Harry began to explain what had happened to Dumbledore, Gene found herself unable to listen, unable to relive it all over again and tuned herself out.