Chapter 74 - Heal, heal, and heal

It was then that the paramedics and peacekeepers swarmed the scene. But Levi noticed none of the changes around him. The only thing his two eyes could see was the precious treasure in his embrace, and the jarring crimson liquid gushing out of his mouth.

The cacophony of footsteps, voices, and sirens blended into one. People were speaking, yet he could not understand a word of what they were saying. Familiar faces appeared in his peripheral vision, but he could not recognize a single one.

Then someone put their paw on his darling's back, and Levi nearly attacked them in response. Only at the last moment did he realize that the person was a healer and redirected the attack force to pass by them like the wind.

Levi didn't remember much of what happened after that. The only thing that he remembered clearly was that from beginning to end, those amber eyes he longed to see did not open even once.

At some point, his mind, that had been stretched to the brink of collapse over and over again, shut down.

But even then, he refused to let his baby out of his arms.

His subconscious mind couldn't rest. It only knew to protect the treasure in his embrace.

***

When Noah's elder sister and Levi's fiancée, arrived at her lunch date destination to find the area closed off by the law enforcement with a bunch of people lying on the ground spewing blood, she nearly spewed out blood too.

Bloody hell! What kind of a bad luck streak was this?!? Was there a deity out there plotting how to work her to death?!? Couldn't she get a single day off?!? Just one! One day!!

‎(ノಥ益ಥ)ノ ┻━┻

And sure enough, one of her colleagues soon spotted her among the crowd and called her over, "What are you doing outside the tape? Quick, follow me, we need you at ambulance 3."

The unfortunate sister and soon-not-to-be-wife: "..." QAQ

What was she supposed to say? Sorry, I'm not here on duty, I'm here for a lunch date??

She could only look towards the sky with her desolate eyes and swallow down the metaphorical mouthful of blood. And then, ultimately, follow her colleague with a smile while internally crying a river.

What else could she do, ah? Of course, she could do nothing else but send another "Sorry" message to her fiancé, and run in to heal, heal, and heal all day long, like a fucking priest in an MMORPG.

○| ̄|_

***

When Noah's eyes opened again, an indeterminate amount of time later, the first thing he saw was a familiar... bedside table.

He blinked his amber eyes in bewilderment several times, but no matter how he blinked, the scene didn't change. He was lying... on his bed, in his room at the Cordia manor?

But how was that possible?!

"Blackie! Blackie! How is brother-in-law? What about Trey? Fynn? What happened?!" Noah hurriedly interrogated the system inside his head.

"Everyone is fine," Blackie responded in a disinterested tone, "More or less..."

Just when Noah was about to pop a blood vessel from how unhelpful Blackie's response was, a stream of images popped inside his head instead.

Blackie, as an advanced AI system, was always awake and remembered everything he saw and heard with perfect clarity. He was like an Ultra HD video recorder that was on 24/7. And as an entity using Noah's soul as its host, it took nearly zero effort on Blackie's part to just transfer those memories to Noah directly.