Chapter 11

Harry's POV

For the last two and a half hours, I've been standing straight against this wretched wall, holding a large hardcover copy of The Complete Works Of Edgar Allen Poe. My arms and legs are burning with an awful intensity.

I didn't get off unscathed after the whole sock incident last week. Once Dumbledore departed, the housefather left many bruises on my arms, legs, and torso.

The houseparents acknowledged the fact that I would be leaving and figured it might be a bad idea to leave noticeable marks. They've been- imaginative on how they punish me.

This is why I've been standing here with my arms outstretched for so long. Well, that and I was three minutes late coming home.

I don't think I can stay like this for much longer; my arms are starting to fall, and my whole body is trembling in great agony.

"Harry, you're leaving tomorrow. Just a little while longer, okay," conversed Percy; this statement would be encouraging- if seconds didn't feel like hours, and minutes like an eternity.

"Yeah, just a little while longer, " I mumbled, my face screwed in concentration. I can't do it; my arms are going to fall.

When the book hit the ground, I only had one thought- crap. Gary becomes irrationally angry at, well- everything.

The Housefather, hearing the thump of the book, stormed out of the kitchen; his face eerily calm.

Lowering his head, so that I could feel his hot beer tainted breath on my face, he uttered three words.

"Pick it up."

Stretching my aching muscles, I drop to my knees. I can do this- I can do this. I can't do this; my arms feel like spaghetti and my fingers only move in painful jerks.

"Percy, " The house Father barked. "Go."

Knowing there was nothing he could do, Percy gave the House Father a curt nod and walked away. I don't blame him; I would have done the same thing. I would rather one of us end up with broken bones than both of us.

"Harry, I've been reasonable with you, " He whispers. "I haven't truly punished you in a week, yet you continue to test my patience."

"Sorry." My head whips to the side, a sting the shape of a handprint races across my cheek. "Sorry, sir." I correct myself.

I didn't have time to brace myself before my head was slammed through the drywall wall behind me.

"You little prick, " He wails as veins pulse across his forehead and blood rushes to his cheeks. "That's gonna be expensive."

He boxed my ear, causing me to fall to my knees, blows were falling in a steady flow; a hit to my abdomen stealing my breath and another to my chest to assure I wouldn't catch it.

*****

"Ow, " I groaned.

"Sorry, Harry, " muttered Peter. "but on the bright side, none of your ribs are broken."

"Catch," said Percy tossing a bag of frozen peas at Peter.

Breathing shouldn't be such a daunting task; each time my chest expands, it feels like a miniature man is kicking at my ribs.

Peter placed the peas gently on my ribs, making me wince. I'm leaving tomorrow for Hogwarts, it'll all be okay: no more beatings, no more bruised ribs, no more houseparents.

"Go to bed, I'll make sure you're packed," Peter whispered.

Giving in to his demand I shut my eyes and wait for sleep to take me.