Chapter 2

"And... Check, mate." Varian leaned back in his seat, arms folded.

Rapunzel sighed. "How did you... I should have known. You always beat me at chess."

The fourteen year old shrugged, his large eyes smiling. He took the statement as a compliment. Rapunzel was always generous with those, so it was nice when Cassandra gave an occasional praise. Not that he preferred one sister's thought over the other, it was just scarcer from Cassandra.

"So, you two Chess Warriors, gonna come help with dinner or you gonna let me do all the work?"

"Uh... Oh! I just remember that I have to do something..." Rapunzel made to hop up the stairs to her room.

Varian stood up and started moving towards his own room. "Yeah, and I have to... to check on one of my projects!"

Cassandra frowned at the two younger siblings. The two burst out laughing and came over to help get dinner ready. "We were teasing, Cass."

"Hope so, 'cause I was about to give the both of you an earful. You gotta be careful with that kind of stuff."

Varian waved a hand at his eldest sister. "Pfft! Yeah, whatever you say, Cassie."

Cassandra rolled her eyes at the childish nickname. Varian called her Cassie ever since he was four and he never really stopped. It was a special nickname that Varian got to use. Rapunzel rarely ever used it because she knew Cassandra preferred Cass.

"What are we making?" Rapunzel asked.

"Hazelnut soup," Cassandra replied.

"Yay!" Rapunzel squealed. Hazelnut soup was her favorite and the other two liked the soup very much as well.

"C'mon, guys. Mother will be home anytime soon, and you know she can be a little cranky when she's hungry." Cassandra put chopped parsnips in the pot.

"A little?" Varian asked.

"Alright, a lot, but don't let mother know we're even having this conversation," Cassandra said sternly as she pointed a finger at him.

"Our lips are sealed, Cass." Rapunzel made her lips pressed tightly together and made a locking motion with her fingers near her mouth.

"Good, now hand me the mince," Cassandra ordered. Rapunzel obliged to hand the plant over to her sister.

~~~~~~~~~~

The three siblings sat at the table with their mother. They spooned bites of soup into their mouths. Varian glanced up from his bowl. Should he ask? She was in a good mood. Will he risk ruining it or was it a good time to ask.

He thought for a moment. What would Fynn Rider do? He knew the answer. He'd be sitting up straight, looking his mother in the eye and asking the question. What was the worst that could happen? Saying it wasn't for him to know? He had to ask. As a scientist or alchemist, it was only natural to ask questions. Didn't mean he needed the answer right away. He would wait as long as it would take to get them.

"Mother," Varian cleared his throat. "Why was I given magical powers?"

The others stopped. His older sisters glanced at their mother. Any question could tip her scale. She didn't have much patience. Gothal just looked at her son. He began to realize that maybe it wasn't a good idea. She was always rough when I came to the topic of his and Rapunzel's magic.

Her gaze was stern and then it softened. "You do not need to worry about it, dear. As long as you do not use the incantation, no one will be harmed, blue bird."