Chapter 4

Varian sat on the windowsill. Dawn was just beginning. He had slept on the floor by the fireplace as his room aired out. He looked sadly back at the circular room. He saw the painting his sisters had been working on the previous day. It was only the rough beginning still.

Why did he always have to mess up? Why did he always long for something more and not be satisfied with what he had? All his experiments were for finding answers that he wanted answers too. For more knowledge. What stopped him from quitting?

V:I've got mother's love
I shouldn't ask for more
I've got so many things
I should be thankful for
Yes, I have everything
Except, I guess, a door
Perhaps it's better that I stay in
But tell me...
When will my life begin?

He sighed. Seven was nearing and he would have to face the dreaded day. Mother would probably be gone all day, she usually was after one of them got in trouble. Probably to give herself time to recuperate.

What bothered him was that it was Cass's birthday, and now he ruined it. It was his fault. He didn't even get to finish her birthday present. It was what had gone in flames. He didn't understand. It was a flammable material, but it didn't explain the explosion.

Suddenly, he remembered. He facepalmed himself. "Ergh! Stupid Varian! So dumb!" he chided himself in a harsh whisper.

He had left the cloth too close to the candle and the sleave was next to a vial with chemicals. Thus the flames and explosion. The fire caused the explosion, rather than the explosion causing the fire.

"Hey, Varian."

The teen jerked his head over to who had spoken. Rapunzel stood about a yard away hands behind her back. She was the one who had spoken. Cassandra was walking down the last step. He hadn't heard them come down.

"Hey," he whispered back.

"How ya doing?" Cassandra asked.

"Mmm'k," he answered quietly.

"Do you wanna help us with making pancakes?" Rapunzel eased the question in.

"Sure..." he gave a weak grin. The three of them loved cooking together. Especially pancakes. They never knew why that was one of their favorites to make. Maybe it was because of the taste.

The three cooked away. Their mother came down as they were finishing. "Almost ready, mother!" the chimed in unison.

She sat at the table, looking tired. That was understandable to the trio, for she had just gotten out of bed. Rapunzel set a plate of hot pancakes in front of their mother.

"Thank you, flower," she said.

Rapunzel merely smiled in return.

"Oh, Varian. Remember to turn off the stove when you are done," Gothal reminded him.

"Yes, mother."

The three teens sat at the table with their own breakfast. Rapunzel decided to make small talk. "Sooo, what's the plan, Cass?"

The birthday girl shrugged. "I suppose the usual, I guess."

"Very wise, Cassandra," Gothal commented.

The plates were empty, and sat before them on the table. All of them noticed the burning smell at the same time. They looked at the stove. Gothal got up and quickly turned off the oven, and frowned at a melted utensil.

Varian's heart sank as he realized that he had forgotten to turn it off as he was told. His mother turned around. "Varian. Did I not tell you to turn this off?"

"I'm sorry mother. I-" Varian began weakly.

"It was my fault, mother," Cassandra spoke up. "Told him I'd do it after I finished making my pancakes. Sorry."

If her birthday was going to be a happy birthday, Varian was not to get into trouble. Not after the previous day. Mother was still mad with him, and punishments would be more dire for the next while. She would be let off the hook much easier than her brother would. It was her job to look after her younger siblings anyway.

Varian was about to open his mouth to claim that wasn't the case. Cassandra kicked him under the table as a message for him to keep his mouth shut. He did.

"Well, I guess we'll let it slide this time. It's your birthday after all," Gothal sighed.

"It won't happen again." Cassandra felt a twang of relief. It had gone much better than expected.

"I must head out now, dears." Gothal put on her cloak. "Can you hold the fort, my raven?"

Cassandra nodded. "Of course, mother."

It was only a matter of minutes before their mother was out of sight and in the unknown world. Varian looked at Cassandra. "Why did you lie? You could have gotten in trouble for something I did. On your birthday too!"

"Well, that's why I did it. Mother always gives a little grace to us on our birthdays. That and I would rather be in trouble than you on my birthday. It's funner when I have both of you."

"Thanks." Varian hugged her, a genuine look of appreciation in his eyes.

"No prob' squirt." She ruffled his hair.

"Ah! Cass!" He put his hands on his hair to protect it. "Why?"

"Because..." she shrugged nonchalantly.

Rapunzel smiled. "I'll be right back!" she returned moments later with a piece of wood. It had a painting on it. Cassandra was in the middle, with Rapunzel to her right and Varian to her left. Cass had her arms over their shoulders and they looked like they were laughing.

"Awe, thanks Raps." Cassandra couldn't help but let the awe out. It was really sweet.

Varian rubbed the back of his neck with a gloved hand. "I had a gift for you too, but... it went up in flames yesterday..."

Cassandra felt guilt creeping up on her. It had been her gift that went into flames. If he hadn't tried to make her gift, he would still have his book that he was so fond of. She set a hand on his shoulder. "It's alright, V. I'm just sad I didn't get to see how amazing it was, but I already know I would have loved it."

He blushed.

Rapunzel had her hands folded together, smiling at the scene. Cassandra turned to her. "I suppose you have a plan?"

Her eyes lit up. "Yes!" she grabbed both of their hands and began to lead them up to her and Cassandra's room.

"Raps?" Varian raised a brow as he laughed. "What are you doing?"

"Just wait!" She grinned. "You'll see!"