Chapter 21

Warning: there is obviously murder like in the movie and attempted murder in this chapter.  It sounds a lot darker when I put that way.  Child abuse.

◇◇◇◇◇◇

Varian was holding the crown.  He had never intended to keep it.  No, he had wanted to give it back to Lance and Eugene when they parted ways, even if it never truly belonged to the thieves.  He didn't know who owned the crowns and it was never like he'd ever leave the tower again.  Besides, it was merely an object.  One would learn to live without it.  He couldn't help it, so he supposed the ornament was now his sisters' and his.  Every time they'd look at it, they'd be reminded of the cruelty of the world.

The boy sat down on his desk, setting the crown down.  He noticed the Flynn Rider book.  He felt tears sting in his eyes.  He buried his face in his arms that rested on the table and cried.  He had gone on this way for a while before a crash caused him to jump out of his sorrow.  There was a ton of yelling and crashes.

Varian rushed up the latter and snapped the trap door open.  He saw his mother chaining Rapunzel to the banister, her mouth gagged.  What he did next, Varian didn't think all the way through.  He rushed over and shoved his mother.  She hit the ground.  He tried to untie his sister.  "What is going-"  he was cut off by a book colliding with his head.  It knocked him off his feet.  He gasped, holding his head.  Rapunzel fought against her bonds.

The fourteen year old was lifted up by the front of his shirt by his mother.  "Mother…"  he whimpered.

She slapped him on his left cheek with the palm of her hand, causing his head to shoot to the side.  She slapped him again with the back of her hand on the right cheek.  His head turned in the opposite direction than the last.  "Ah!"  he gasped in tears.  "Mother, stop!"

His plea only resulted in him being slammed front first into the wall.  "Ow!"  he screamed.

"I never should have had you to begin with!"  she snarled.

"Mother!"  He sniffed as he sobbed uncontrollably.  "I'm sorry!  I'm sorry!  I'll be good!"

She merely twisted his arms in reply.  He screamed and had a new wave of tears rush out of his eyes.  "Please!  Mother!  Stop!  I'm sorry!"  he begged.

Finally, Gothal released him from her grip.  He fell to the floor, sobbing with pain.  The noise annoyed her more and she kicked him in the stomach.  He yelped and curled up in a ball to protect himself.  His mother had never hit him before, so it was all new to him.

"Stop!"  Rapunzel had gotten her gag out of her mouth.  "Don't hurt him anymore!"

Gothal stopped after she landed a fourth kick.  He cried out.  She turned to Rapunzel who looked at her with pleading eyes.  Gothal didn't need any of them!  She only needed the hair, but Rapunzel was attached to it, thus she only needed Rapunzel.  She didn't need to waste her breath subduing the boy.  No, he had only been a nuisance and she always got rid of them!

Cassandra groaned.  She sat up.  She shook her head before remembering what had taken place before she had passed out.  Jumping up, she ran through the curtains.  She stopped suddenly, her eyes widened at the horror of the scene.  Rapunzel was tied to the banister and Varian was being beaten.  She watched her mother kick him and Rapunzel screamed at her to stop.  Gothal turned and looked at Rapunzel, turning her back on the sobbing boy.  Cassandra saw her mother's eyes as she made a decision.

Gothal grabbed Varian by the back collar of his shirt and began to drag him.  It took a moment for it to hit Cassandra what her mother intended to do.  She was dragging him to the window.  "No!"  Cassandra gasped.  "Varian!  Decay!  The incantation!"  she screamed as she dashed down the stairs.