Chapter 20

Eugene was being led down the prison block.  He had to leave his partner in crime behind.  He was going to be the first to be hung.  It was when they passed a cell that held the Stabbingtons when Eugene suddenly lashed out, freeing himself of the guards.  He grabbed the front of Burnsie's shirt.

"How'd you know about them?  Tell me now!"  he screamed.

"I-it wasn't us!  It was the old lady!"

"Old lady?"  Eugene thought a moment then there was only one person he knew of that could mean that.  The guards grabbed him.  "No, wait!  Guys, guys!  You don't understand!  They're in trouble!"

~~~~~~~~~~

"Girls are you alright?  What's going on up there?"  Gothal was walking up the steps.

Rapunzel opened the curtains, panting.  "I am the lost princess…" she whispered.

Her mother groaned.  "Speak up, Rapunzel.  You know how I hate the mumbling!"

"I am the lost Princess, aren't I?!"  she straightened up.  "Did I mumble, mother, or should I even call you that?"

A look of horror crossed the woman's face for a mere second.  "Ah, Rapunzel.  Do you even hear yourself?  Why would you ask such a ridiculous question?"

Rapunzel shoved her.  "It was you!  It was all you!"

Gothal's face grew stern and solemn.  "Everything I did was to protect you."

The teen pushed past her.  "I've spent my entire life hiding from people who would use me for my power?"

"Rapunzel!"

"But I should have been hiding from you!"  Rapunzel turned around to face her.

"Where would you go?  He won't be there for you."

"What did you do to him?" Rapunzel demanded.

"Those criminals are to be hanged for their crimes."

"No!"  Rapunzel gasped.

"Now, now.  It's alright.  Everything is as it should be-"  Gothal began to pat the girl's head only for her wrist to be met with a vice grip.

"No!  You were wrong about the world and you were wrong about me!  And I will never let you use my hair again!"

Gothal fought out of Rapunzel's grip.  She stumbled backwards into the mirror.  It shattered.  She panted as she watched Rapunzel walk towards the window.  "You want me to be the bad guy?  Fine.  Now I'm the bad guy."

~~~~~~~~~~

Eugene continued struggling.  He only stopped for a brief moment when he noticed the ceramic unicorn on a random ledge.  He would have thought it odd, but he knew that unicorn anywhere after the run in with the thugs.  That was Vladimir's.  That could not mean one thing.

At that thought, all the doors around them slammed shut.  "What?"  The captain began to bang on the door.  "Open this up!"

"What's the password?"  Shorty opened the slot.

"Open this door!"

"Nope!"

"You have three seconds to open it!"

"Not even close."  Shorty gave him a strange look.

"One!"  The captain had his back to Eugene.  Something caused the one guard to disappear.

"Two!"

The last guard opened his mouth for help when he was snatched out of the room.  His helmet fell and clattered to the floor.

"Three…"  the captain turned around because of the noise.  He only found Rider who gave him a small wave.  Before the man could react, Attila opened the door and knocked the man out with a frying pan.

"Frying pans!"  Eugene exclaimed.  "Who knew, right?"

Attila merely had enough time to remove his chains before more guards came breaking in through the back door.  Eugene followed Attila outside.  There, they found Hook Hand.  The thug set him on a wheelbarrow.  A whole fleet of soldiers were running their way.

"Head down,"  Hook Hand ordered.

"Head down,"  the nineteen year old repeated.

"Arms in."

"Arms in,"  Eugene copied.

"Knees apart."

"Knees apart… knees apart?  Why do I need to keep my knees apart?"  Eugene gave him a quizzical look.  Vladimir jumped from the wall and landed on the other side of the wheelbarrow.  It catapulted the thief into the air, screaming.

He squeezed his eyes shut.  He never opened them until he felt himself land on something.  Max.  "Wait… you brought them here?"

The horse smiled.

"Wow, that means a lot to me.  No, really, I…  You know what?  You're probably right.  We should go."  With that, the two set off at full speed to across the wall.

Soldiers burst through the doors from both sides, running after them.  Eugene noticed that Max wasn't stopping.  They were running to jump.  "Max?  Max!  Maaaaaax!"  He screamed as they went airborne for a few seconds before landing and sliding off a roof.

They ran out of Corona and to the bridge.  "Good.  Now, let's see just how fast you can run!"  The horse needed no second bidding to give an extra burst of speed.

I only got a couple chapters left on this first book.  Get yourself buckled up for the next chapter tomorrow bc it gets intense!