chapter 17: you're miles away

A/N: This is really short chapter, but never fear, the next one will follow in less time than it takes Can to consume ten pork skewers!

Tin felt bloody miserable. The whole trip, in his opinion, was pointless. He didn't need to improve his English, he'd lived in the UK for nearly eight years, his English was flawless! He'd tried the whole thing citing that reason, but the professor insisted on his attendance, said it was mandatory.

He missed Can. He missed Ren. Home had never felt like that before. Home was where Can was, he realised that now. He'd be happy in a shack if Can were with him. To make matters worse, Can hadn't picked up when he'd called him the previous evening, hadn't answered his morning message and now Tin's phone had decided to completely die for no reason—it was only a couple of months old and had a full battery!—and it could not be revived no matter what Tin tried and there was no time in the schedule for him to go to the store to get them to look at it.

When Monday night arrived, he borrowed Pete's phone to call Can and it was so good to hear his voice. Yes, everything was fine, Can told him. Except Ren was groggy because of another tooth and the painkiller wasn't working as well as before. Tin answered Can's enthusiastic questions about what the food was like in Chanthaburi as though it wasn't just a few hours away from Bangkok, yes there were street vendors everywhere, no Tin hadn't tried any street food, and so on it went. Talking to him was comforting, it was domestic.

His time on the phone to Can was cut off when the 'call waiting' ring tone cut through and Tin saw it was Ae. He said goodbye to Can and handed the phone to Pete with a, "See you in the morning," and retired to his room.

Tuesday was more of the same except he was separated from Pete as they had both chosen different seminars. The subject matter, all in English of course, was about the British Royal Family and how the British used them to promote tourism. Tin barely listened.

He took the transport back to the hotel with his classmates and had just stepped out of the lift onto his floor when Pete came sprinting down the corridor looking distraught. Tin had never seen Pete move so fast.

When Pete reached him, he put one had on Tin's shoulder and bent over slightly to catch his breath. "Tin—" He stood up straight and met Tin's concerned gaze. "Type called, he said that Ren's mother is at your house demanding Can give her back custody...and that it was your brother who brought her there. Type's boyfriend is taking Can there now."

"He did what?" He had a moment of panic. That witch was not getting her hands on Ren, it would finish Can off. Can. He had to get home. The panic was replaced by ice cold fury that pushed it's way through his veins like poison. He was going to pull that fucker Tul apart limb by limb. No more holding back. "I have to go."

He was inside his room in seconds, shoving his belongings into his bag. Pete hadn't followed him so he couldn't use his phone. He used the hotel phone and made two quick phone calls. One to arrange for a helicopter to meet him at the nearest helipad and the other to his lawyer.

Pete met him at the lift. "I'm going with you."

Tin shook his head. "No. Please can you stay and cover for me?"

He didn't have space for more words. His mind was full of the varying scenarios he might find when he arrived back home, and his arms ached to hold Can and support him. He needed Tin now more than he ever had and Tin wasn't there for him.