Chapter 1

TW-Death/Violence

TRIS
The guards are chasing us down the hall, gaining on us quickly.

"Stop right there!" One of them shouts.

I turn and shout back "He is my prisoner! I can handle this!"

For their benefit, I stop running, turn, and sweep my leg to pull Caleb's feet out from under him. He hits the ground hard, the thud resonating throughout the floor. He looks up at me with a mix of confusion and astonishment. The guards stop running, but keep their guns leveled towards us. What I do next will make Tobias hate me forever. Then again, I'm the only Divergent that has ever been able to gain control under the memory serum. Maybe the death serum would be about the same.

"Caleb, give me the backpack." I mutter.

He looks startled for a moment, trying to decipher my words. Then he just gives me a sad expression with pain in his eyes as he slowly shakes his head no. I pull out my own gun, and set it against his temple.

"Take. Off. The. Damn. Backpack. And. Give. It. To. Me." I whisper through clenched teeth. He realizes he cannot fight me on this, and slowly pulls the backpack off with a tortured expression on his face. I pull it onto my back, before aiming my gun right above his head, towards the guards.

"I love you." I said to him, knowing I might not survive. He just looked at me with tears in his eyes before responding

"I love you too, Beatrice."

I fired three times, and the yelps of pain helped to confirm that my bullets had met their marks. I turned on my heel and ran, feet thumping as quickly as their bodies had hit the floor.

I quickly settled into a rhythm, feet pounding against the tile floor. The fluorescent lights caused sweat to roll down my face, even though the air was cold and unwelcoming. Just as I was nearing the door, I heard another shot, and saw a blue bolt of energy whizz through the air, and fizzle out a few inches from my head. Despite myself, I turned.

Caleb was running after me, with the paralyzing gun that Cara had given us a long time ago. He shot again, and I felt my body begin to go numb as it spread from my leg throughout my entire body. I collapsed.

He reached my head, panting. He pulled the backpack off of my back, and smiles grimly at the outrage that I have managed to will into my eyes. He puts it back on his back.

"I'm sorry." He says. "But I have to make this right."

I try to glare at him. Doesn't he get it? I can't lose him too! I'm just trying to save him, he was never supposed to be brave like this. It just wasn't in his character.

He whispers one more thing to me.
"Beatrice, I love you. I know I have made mistakes, but I never meant to hurt you. I hope this will finally make this right, and I hope that you can forgive me."

We share a glance, holding it for much longer than usual. I drink in my last view of my brother, we will never see each other alive again. With pain evident on his face, he leaves me and continues to run down the hall.

CALEB
I slowly ease into a rhythm, surprising myself. I never thought I would be able to get used to running. I guess I was turning out more Dauntless than I ever thought I could be. I slowed down as I approached the right door. I knew I was about to meet my end. With my heart in my throat, I slowly turned the knob on the door and walked in.

Immediately, I felt as though I was being choked. The death serum took effect immediately. Slowly, I fought through the haze, and made my way to the white panel that was at the back of the room.

It was about waist height, and I could see different tubes that connected it to a large case filled with vials of memory serum. I wondered how exactly it was released. I mean, there obviously was some ventilation system, but there were some parts that I wasn't sure about.

Focus Caleb. You're dying here, and you have a job to do. Stop being such and Erudite, and get to work!

I studied the panel again, trying to ignore the large weight that was on my chest. I began to cough, and as I covered my mouth, my fingers came back red. I was running out of time. The panel had a large keypad with different numbers and a large green button. No security, because David obviously didn't expect anyone to make it past the death serum. My heart rate picked up as I typed in the code, double checking each number. My hand hovered over the green button. I hoped that I could make things right, that I could be forgiven. I fell to my knees, choking. My hand hit the button as I fell, and the memory serum was put into effect.

I smiled, knowing that my mission was successful. While I may be gone, others would survive. My eyes closed one last time as the weight was lifted.

TRIS
I feel the effects of the blast begin to wear off just as I feel the tendrils of the memory serum began to probe at my mind. My heart rises, then sinks quickly. Our mission was successful, but at what cost? I look at my watch.

Matthew had told us that the death serum took approximately 5 minutes to kill, and had a recharge period of one day because the Bureau hadn't ever needed it more than once in a day before. I know it has been 5 minutes since Caleb had left, so I struggled to my feet and ran to find him.

As I approached the door to the room, I slowed. I heard the ventilation system working to remove all traces of the death serum from the air. I could still feel the probing of the memory serum, but I ignored it.

Opening the door, I shuddered at what I saw. There, on the floor, was the crumpled body of my brother. It didn't matter to me what he had done in that moment. He sacrificed himself to save us, and our city. He would always be a hero in my eyes. I looked upwards towards the ceiling with tears pouring down my face and said quietly

"I forgive you."

A/N
So, there was the first chapter. I hope it was okay. The gun that Caleb shot Tris with was mentioned in Insurgent I believe, when Cara is offering either a gun or one of the other weapons. He gets one later on, when he's not being a traitor😄. This is set in a slightly altered universe, obviously. Shauna, Zeke, Christina, Tris, Tobias, and Cara are all still alive. For now. Jeanine is still dead. I hope you enjoy the book!