Chapter 5

TOBIAS
Christina is clenching my arm in a tight grip. For that, I am grateful. She is the only thing that is keeping me from falling apart completely. Tris has only been gone a few minutes, and I already am feeling like living is too much.

"We should go find Matthew." I say, the words garbled through my numb lips. She just nods. She hasn't said a thing since we left room 5.

As we make our way down the harshly lit hall, I see him. Walking down the hallway as though nothing had happened. As though he hadn't just killed the love of my life and turned my world upside down. He had a smug look on his face as he walked towards me. I was filled with a blinding rage. I sprinted toward him and knocked him against the wall. My hand closed over his throat and he began to choke and sputter. The smug look on his face was gone replaced with one of terror.

"Tobias—" he coughed.

I tightened my grip.

"Only one person got to use that name anymore. And she's gone. You killed her!" I yelled.

"Four!" Christina yelled, coming to tear me off of him. I knocked her out-of-the-way. "Four, what are you doing?"

"I'm going to kill him!" I shout. "He's the reason she's dead!" My voice broke, falling to a whisper. "He's the reason she's gone."

Christina's face contorted with pain and rage for a few moments before relaxing.

"Four, let him go." She commanded. I looked at her in disbelief. "Let him go!" She repeated. "Tris wouldn't have wanted you to be a murderer on her behalf."

I gritted my teeth. "Well, we can't know that for sure, can we? And we can't find out, because she's DEAD!" I shouted.

Christina stood, unfazed. "Let him go." She said calmly.

I released him. He gasped and massaged his throat, breathing heavily. I turned away from him, and sunk to the floor. "She's dead." I croaked. Christina knelt down next to me and rubbed my back. "I'll miss her. Every day. I'll never move on." I said, my voice breaking again.

"I know," She said sympathetically, "I will too."

She hugged me hesitantly, but it reminded me too much of Tris. I shied away. She just sat next to me and we cried together. We didn't get up for a long time.

TRIS
I walked into the veil of nothingness, feeling peaceful. The world around me was pure white. I approached a tall gate silently. There were three figures standing by the gate on the left and one standing on the right.

"Tris!" Will greeted me happily. I almost choke on his name.

"Will." I breathe before he tackles me in a hug "Will!" I say again, now crying.

"It's ok. I understand why you did it, and I forgive you. I've missed you so much." He whispers in my ear. I relax slightly, then pull away. I turn towards the figures on the left and run straight into my mother's arms.
"Oh Beatrice," she says, kissing the top of my head, "you've been so brave!" She pulls back and stares at me.

"Beautiful as always Beatrice." Caleb says, smirking, before opening his arms towards me.

"Caleb!" I exclaim, before hugging him fiercely.

"You did so well," he tells me, "I hope you've forgiven me."

I smile. "Of course I have." I reply. He looks relieved. I turn to the last person. My father says nothing, he just steps forward and holds me for a long time, very uncharacteristically for any former Abnegation. He pulls back.

"Welcome back, Beatrice. It's lovely to see you again." He gestures towards the gate. "You go first."

I shake my head, before grabbing his hand. He looks at my hand intertwined with his, startled. Then he nods in understanding. We all clasp hands, and I begin my afterlife with my family at my side.

TOBIAS

Christina walks slightly behind me on our way back to our room. She is silent. When I look back, I see tears still silently rolling down her face. I face forward again, feeling guilty. She had been strong for me, and I hadn't been strong for her. I slowed so I could walk next to her.

"I'm sorry Christina. I wasn't thinking, and I need to be there for you just as much as you are for me. I will be better, I promise."

She attempts a watery smile. "It's ok Four. You lost more than I did, and I'm always here for you, no matter what."

She shuffled her feet anxiously, avoiding my eyes. I sense she has something to say.

"What is it?" I ask tentatively.

"Well, um, what are we going to do about her um funeral?" She says, hesitating for the first time since I've known her. My heart sinks. I take a deep breath.

"I think she would want to be operated on. You know, so they don't study live Divergents. I don't know about you, but I'm leaving as soon as they are done. I'm taking her with me. I think she'd want to be cremated. As for her funeral, there has to be cake. A lot of it." At this, Christina looks at me weirdly. I try to smile.

"It's just one last parting joke, sentiment even. I can't really explain." She shrugs, then speaks up.

"I'm going to find Matthew, to make sure anyone that touches her respects her. I'll meet you back in the dormitory. We'll be leaving soon. I also don't want to be here more than I have to."

A/N
Here's the next chapter, sorry it was so late! Comment any additional ideas you have in the comments as to what I should do :)
Stay safe everyone!
~Chase