Chapter 3

TRIS

I walk into the atrium. The clean white of the foyer once looked welcoming. Now it looks harsh, cold. I don't know how long I can stay here for. I walk with Tobias back to the dormitory with Christina close behind. As we walk inside, it starts to feel more like home. It reminds me of Dauntless initiation. Under the bright lights, I can see Tobias a little better. I study his face. He has a cut under his eye, and his knuckles are split. His eyes are also filling with tears.

"What is it?" I ask, not being able to bear seeing him in pain. He looks at me startled for a moment, before hastily wiping his eyes.

"Nothing" he says hoarsely, trying to muster a smile, "I'm alright."

"No, you're not." I say stubbornly. "You have a cut on your face, and you look like you're about to cry. I'm guessing it's not from your cut though. Talk to me."

He sighs, knowing I won't give up.

"Something happened back home. I'm guessing you noticed Zeke and Shauna aren't back with us yet." I nodded, waiting. "Well, Tris, they-they didn't make it. There was an explosion, and they didn't make it out in time." He bends over from the weight of the words, but I stand still in disbelief. Zeke and Shauna. Zeke was his best friend. I stepped closer to him.

"It will be okay. We will endure this together. You always have me. Don't try to hide things from me. No more lies, let me help you!" I say loudly. He nods, agreeing with me, before pressing his face to my hair.

"I love you" he murmurs.

I sigh happily before responding. "I love you too."

TOBIAS

I walk back to the dormitory with Tris. Now that I know she is safe, I have no distraction from the pain of losing Zeke and Shauna. The worst part was that I didn't know whether Zeke died hating me or not. I notice Tris looking at me, trying to decipher my facial expression.

"What's wrong?" She asks.

I try my best to conjure a smile, wiping my eyes.

"Nothing," I say, "I'm alright."

It didn't fool her, as I suspected it wouldn't. Although I am better at hiding things than most because of Marcus, I find it difficult to hide how I am really feeling when I am with Tris.

"No, you're not." She says. "You have a cut on your face and you look like you're about to cry. I'm guessing it's not from your cut though. Talk to me."

I almost laugh. Of course it wouldn't be from the cut! I had forgotten it was even there. After you have been inflicted with as much physical pain as I have, it tends to dull into the background. Still, I hesitate. She has just lost her brother after losing most of her friends and her parents. Although part of me wants to see how much she can take, part of me doesn't want to see her when she breaks. I can't imagine breaking her. She stands there with her lip stuck out in a pout, even her stance is stubborn. I know she won't let this go. I sigh.

"Something happened back home," I begin, fidgeting, hoping she'll save me from the pain of the words I'm about to say. "I'm guessing you noticed Zeke and Shauna aren't back with us yet." She nods with a hint of impatience. I continue "Well, Tris, they-they didn't make it. There was an explosion, and they didn't make it out in time." Saying the words out loud makes them seem more real. I hunch over from their weight. I feel her small arm wrap itself around my waist. She pulls me close.

"It will be okay. We will endure this together. Don't hide things from me. No more lies, let me help you!" She says fiercely. I nod, before pressing my face into her hair.

"I love you." I murmur

She sighs. "I love you too."

We stay like that for a long time.

THE NEXT DAY
TRIS

I wake up next to Tobias. Someone was calling my name. I sit up slowly, trying not to wake him. Matthew is standing next to the door to the dormitory.

"Tris." He whispers, motioning for me to follow him. I breathe out heavily, before signaling to him to wait outside. He obliges, leaving me in the dark dormitory with Tobias, Cara, and Christina. I get up and dress slowly, still ignoring the beckoning call of sleep.

When I slip out the door, Matthew is waiting for me impatiently.

"Come on!" He said "I have something to show you!"

I follow him anxiously, hoping there isn't anymore bad news. He leads me through what was called the 'airport terminal' to where he has been working.

"So I have found—" Matthew starts before being interrupted.

"Tris!" David calls. I look at him confused. He shouldn't remember me, or my name.

"Um hello David!" I say brightly, trying to mask the confusion and paranoia in my voice.

He walks over to me. "Can you meet me in room 5 tomorrow? I have something I want to tell you." He says. I exchange looks with Matthew, who nods slightly. I turn back towards David.

"Sure. Name the time." I reply

"How about 7 in the morning." He says. He steps closer. "And I suggest you don't say anything to anyone, we don't need to cause any unnecessary problems now do we?" He says quietly in my ear, smiling.

"Of course. See you then."

He walks away, and Matthew comes over to me again.

"What was that about?" He asks curiously.

"Nothing. He just wants to see me." I reply.

"Why?" He presses.

"Don't worry about it! Nothing, everything's fine, he just wants to talk." I snap.

He raises his hands in mock surrender.

"Okay, okay, it's your call." He says. "But I bet this is something Four would want to hear about, wouldn't he."

I have to choose my words carefully. He will be mad that I didn't tell him, but I don't want to risk getting him hurt. David said not to tell anyone, so I wouldn't. Still, I felt bad because I had just made him promise to not keep things from me. But this was for a good reason! It was just to keep him safe.

After warring with myself, I decided I would tell him after David and I talked, so I had something to tell him.

"No, he'll be fine. I'll tell him afterwards." I say, making it clear that the case is closed. He senses the end of the conversation and drops it.

"So what we're you saying earlier?" I ask, trying to move the conversation away from David.

"Well—" he starts again.

"Tris!" I hear a voice call. I look out into the hallway and see Tobias coming towards me.

"Hi!" I say, overly cheerful. "How did you sleep?"

He comes over to me, and wraps me in a hug.

"I was worried when I woke up and you weren't there. Please don't do that to me! I just can't lose you too." He says, with his eyes begging.

"I'm sorry, Matthew just wanted to talk to me, but it's all fine now." I say, trying to smooth things over.

He narrows his eyes. "Talk about what?" He asks suspiciously.

I look at him startled. "Nothing like that!" I say, sensing what he is asking. "You know I love you."

Matthew bends over laughing. "Oh god, he thought— I—no it's not like that Four, don't worry. I'm not trying to take your girl."

Tobias glares at him for a second before pulling me close and kissing me gently. "Let's go eat something." He suggests. I walk with him, waving to Matthew over my shoulder as I go.