Chapter 4

Next Day
TRIS

I wake up early the next morning. I get out of bed quickly and quietly, trying not to wake Tobias. After dressing quickly again, I slipped out the door.

Hurrying down the hall so I wasn't late, I stopped outside the door to the examination room that David had told me to meet him at.

"You asked to see me?" I said, walking into the examination room. David was examining something on the monitor in front of him. He turned towards me with a smile, but his eyes were cold.

"Yes, Beatrice, sit down." He said pleasantly, gesturing to the examination table next to him. I sat hesitantly, with the paper crinkling under my legs.

"It seems," he says, turning towards me, "that there was a flaw in your plan."

With these words, my blood ran cold.

"A flaw?" I ask innocently, with my brain working furiously to understand how he knew.

"Yes, a flaw," he said, turning back towards the monitor once more. "Do you know what that flaw is?"

I shook my head. He smiled, glad he knew yet another thing that I didn't.

"Natalie Prior."

TOBIAS

When I woke up, Tris is gone. Again. I have a feeling that her being with Matthew and her not being here now were linked somehow. I get up quickly, and I run into the side of the bed in my haste. The resultant bang echoes throughout the room for a minute before fading.

"Four?" Christina asks sleepily "what's going on?"

"Tris isn't here again." I say quickly, trying to pull on my clothes quickly. Christina sits up immediately, and gets dressed as well.

"Where would she go?" She asks.

I shake my head in anger. "I don't know! She hasn't been telling me! We're not supposed to be lying to each other, but apparently it's a one-sided thing."

Some of the workers look over in shock at my outburst. I hit my hands against the wall in frustration, breathing heavily.

"Cmon Tobias, think, think!" I mutter to myself.

Matthew. Matthew. They were connected.

"Matthew. We need to find Matthew." I say. She nods in agreement, and we begin to run to find him.

TRIS

I sat there in disbelief, with my mind working frantically. How, what could my mother have to do with this?

"What do you mean?" I manage to choke out.

"Oh Beatrice," he says with false sympathy, "it seems your dear brother died for nothing. You see, there is a weakness in the serum. I suspect that was wheat Matthew was trying to tell you yesterday. He's a smart boy, a little too much so. Anyway, the serum has one flaw. The person that created it is the only person that can exploit it, or cause it to fail. Your mother worked hard on that serum. As you look so much like your mother, people are starting to gain back bits of their memories."

He clucked his tongue, turning back to the screen.

"There is only one thing to do." He said. He turned back towards me, whilst pulling a gun out of his pocket. He loaded it, then pointed it at me with a steady hand.

"Oh, and before that," he says, "there is one other thing you should know. You see, I loved your mother. But she didn't love me. She loved Andrew Prior. After a few years of pining to no avail, I began to get jealous. After all, I was smart and powerful. What did he have that I didn't? Eventually, I decided on the perfect solution. I decided I would send him into one of the experiments. He would most likely die anyway, and I could finally have Natalie to myself. The problem was solved. Still, I felt bad for her, so I told her not to get too attached to him. She ignored my advice. I sent him in first. Strangely, your mother began to grow even more distant. Any relationship that we had deteriorated. Eventually, I grew so angry with her that I decided to send her in too. They would be together, happily ever after." He smiled, a twisted, sadistic smile.

"I delivered her to Death, just as I am about to do for you. Hers was drawn out, as I wanted to see her suffer as much as I had. Yours will be quick though, as I am rather fond of you if not for your heritage. Of course, you have vital information that I can't have you blabbing about. Yes, your death will be quick, I promise. I am the reason your parents are dead. I just thought you should know."

I stared at him in horror as he stood, reminiscing. He leveled the gun at me once more.

Tobias, I thought, Tobias, I didn't want to leave you. I closed my eyes. I heard the gunshots before I was peppered with pain. I screamed.

TOBIAS

Christina and I went to go find Matthew.

"She might be with David, he was talking to her yesterday." He told us.

"Where?" I asked desperately.

"Room 5." He said.

I wasted no time. I began to sprint towards the room. Christina soon fell behind. As I am running down the hallway, I hear gunshots and a scream. Tris's scream. The hallway seems to get longer. I will myself to run faster.

"Tris!" I yell.

TRIS

Through a haze of pain, I hear Tobias yell my name. He runs into the room, but stops in shock when he sees me.

"Tris..." he says brokenly. He approaches my side.

"It's going to be okay." I whisper hoarsely.

He just looks at me with a tortured expression. Then he leans down and slowly presses his lips to mine. His fingers wrap in my hair, pulling my mouth closer to his.

"Tobias," I say against his lips, "Tobias, be brave."

And then there is nothing.

TOBIAS

"Tobias, Tobias be brave." Her last words echo throughout my head.

This must be why David was behind a row of guards when I ran in. I shake my head numbly. Then I crush my mouth to hers, willing her to come back. To open her eyes, and smile, and kiss me. Just once more, that's all I want. Just once more. My heart is breaking into a million pieces. As much as I try not to, I begin to sob, not caring who sees, or what people think. The love of my life is gone, and I cannot do anything about it. I stay like that, my lips pressed to hers, until long after her body is cold.

Christina comes running in. She looks at Tris in dismay, before taking my arm and trying to lead me away.

"Tris." I say. "Tris. Tris. Tris. Tris!" I scream her name until my throat is raw, with tears pouring down my face. It becomes a chant, the chant of a broken man wishing for just. one. more.

AUTHORS NOTE
Ok so I cried while writing this
Please don't hate me
And please keep reading
It will get better!
Or not
You'll have to see