Chapter 10

Blossom's house
Next day

A timeless graceful house. The Volvo pulls up and Toni climbs out, surprised.

"Wow it's... wonderful"

"You expected turrets, dungeons, and moats?"

"No..not moats"

Cheryl takes her hand. Toni girds herself as they head inside.

Cheryl guides Toni into the large, bright house. Walls of glass look out on the river. Everything's open and white. Historical objects are tastefully placed throughout.

"It's so..light and open"

"Thanks to tinted windows..it's the one place we never have to hide"

They notice shuffling and clanging coming from the kitchen. Cheryl shakes her head.

"I told them not to do this"

Toni and Cheryl enter to find the kitchen in full swing. Dr. Blossom, Archie, Veronica, and Penelope prepare elaborate platters of italian pastas and antipasti.

Penelope rolls out pizza dough and fans tomatoes around it in an instant. Veronica stirs a pot, disinterested.

Penelope sees Toni and stops, emanating maternal warmth. Her heart-shaped face and billows of hair are reminiscent of the silent movie era.

"Toni. We're making Italiano for you"

"This is Penelope, my mother for all intents and purposes" Cheryl introduces.

"Bon giorno?"

Toni tried remembering how to say hello in French.

"Molto bene!" Penelope replies.

"You've given us an excuse to use the kitchen for the first time" Dr. Blossom says.

There's noise in the background. They're watching an Italian cooking show in a tv.

"I hope your hungry"

"Oh absolutely" Toni says, not wanting to be rude.

"She already ate" Cheryl sighs.

Toni shoots her a look, but something shatters. Veronica has thrown a bowl and strides out angrily.

"Perfect" she says as she walks past Toni.

Toni exits behind Veronica, trying to explain. The others following behind.

"I just assumed- because you don't eat, you know.."

"Of course, that was very considerate of you" Penelope says.

"Ignore her. I do" Cheryl  whispered to Toni, referring to Veronica.

"Yes, let's keep pretending this isn't dangerous for all of us" Veronica says.

"I would never, ever tell anyone" Toni tries.