a man like you (prequel)

Erwin was a very successful man. He owned hotels all across the Western United States. He had multiple companies and stock businesses that he ran. His main influence was in the jewelry industry. He created some of the most well known pieces, along with his team. His name was known almost all over the world for his glamorous designs that only the most pretentious wore.

He was a multi millionaire, that worked his way to the top. Starting from nothing. He even had the choice to work completely at his home. He rarely had to leave his penthouse. But of course he did as much as he could. He enjoyed working around others and socializing. Probably why he had gotten so popular. He was kind, unreasonably patient, and very charming.

His charm had earned him friends that he very much cherished. Without some of them, he wouldn't know where he would be now. They were his team, helping him design extravagant pieces that were shown in magazines all throughout the fashion industry. Some of his friends were ones he worked with. And some were just long time friends from his high school youth. Friends who would come over for small dinners and while his business ones would all go out together for drinks.

But considering how many friends he had. And how successful he was. He was a bit disappointed with his life. Yes, he was happy with his success. And going out with friends every once in awhile was enjoyable. But he felt empty. His home felt cold. No matter how many luxuries he filled it with.

There was no one to enjoy them with. He may have had his house hold staff to keep things clean, make meals, and feed his cat, but they weren't exactly what he needed. There was no one to wake up to. Only a few one night stands somewhat satisfied his sexual frustration, but even those didn't forefil him.

Perhaps he was depressed? His associate Nanaba suggested getting a pet, so he got a cat. But that didn't work. Though the cuddles were nice. Hanji suggested getting a girlfriend. Erwin was worried he would be too busy for that. And his intern, Armin, was a bit more blunt and said he should go to therapy. Erwin thought about going to a weekly therapy session but he kept putting it off. He knew he didn't have time for it, work was too important.

But the thought of a significant other sounded nice. Much more so than therapy sessions. He wanted to make breakfast for someone in the morning. He wanted to someone to hold him after a rough day at work. Erwin wanted someone. More than he let on. And his friends knew it. They suggested people, set him up on dates, even tried to get him laid with this one guy at his work. Of course he appreciated their efforts. He knew they meant well. But Erwin had given up.

It was a cold February in New York and he had gone out to eat with a few members of his design team, Hanji Zoë and Miche Zacharias. Both very talented and creative people when it came to designing the most beautiful crystal pieces. Hange, specializing in the diamond lab. And Miche knew what was trending and what the people wanted to see.

He hadn't drank too much, but he still didn't want to drive. He knew his penthouse was only a two blocks away now and he could easily walk the rest. But on his way he passed by an ally way that caught his eye. A small ally way. A dirty one, with a dumpster filled to the brim. But that's not what drew his attention. A crippled figure laid on the filthy concrete floor.

Erwin thought he might have actually drank too much. But then again anything can happen in New York. He walked into the closed in ally way, not exactly thinking about having a weapon to protect himself if this person was hostile. But they looked hurt and severely wounded, a small puddle of blood grew beneath the person.

Standing above the figure he saw more of its details. It's pale skin. It's skinny legs. It's short greasy black hair. She looked like she hadn't showered in days. Patches of dirt clinging to the skinny girls skin.