First Fight - David Rossi

Trigger Warnings:  Mentions of divorce

CMCMCMCM

Year:  1984

You know when you wake up in a good mood and then something happens to ruin that good mood you were in when you woke up?

If not, I congratulate you.

If so, you'll love this.

It happened to be your birthday. Usually, you never made a big deal out of it. But this was your first time celebrating your birthday with your boyfriend, David Rossi.

You and David worked together in the Behavioral Science Unit out of Quantico, Virginia. Your very close friend and partner was Jason Gideon.

But enough about the recap, you're here for the angst.

You had walked into the bunker with a not-so-normal cheery disposition. You were usually very serious, and hardly cracked a smile while on the job, but today was just different. (Now we know where Aaron gets it from)

"Morning boys." You greeted airily, patting Jason on the shoulder and giving David a kiss on his cheek. You sat down at your desk, eyes focused on your book that was laid out on your desk.

Jason and David both gave each other a look before turning their attention to you. You were so engrossed in your book that you didn't notice Jason was trying to get your attention.

"Y/N? Hey, Y/N? Yo, Hotchner! Hotch!"

Your eyes darted up to your partner. "Sorry Jason. Really good book. What's wrong?"

Jason cocked an eyebrow upwards. "Nothing's wrong. It's just um... you're very cheerful today. You never act like that. Care to elaborate?"

You bit on your lip and looked towards David before looking back at Jason. "Well, I won't tell you why; I just woke up in a really good mood this morning."

Your day was painfully long, and you didn't even have a case.

You were hoping David would tell you 'happy birthday' or something along those lines, but he didn't seem to notice anything about today. It made you frown, because you were sure that David wouldn't forget today... right?

Apparently, you had way too much faith in David Stephen Rossi.

Throughout the day, you anticipated to hear a 'happy birthday' from your boyfriend. Jason noticed how anxious you were all day, giving David glances every now and then. He didn't say anything, and continued about his day like normal.

But you began to question your relationship with David in your mind. You knew he'd forgotten about important dates when he was married to Carolyn — that and his job were the main two reasons they got a divorce.

Would David really make you his next Carolyn?

It was the end of the day, and you were mildly irritated. David could tell as he saw you aggressively putting files away. He raised an eyebrow at the odd behavior you were displaying.

"Is everything alright, il mio amore?" David asked.

You had your back turned to him. You were gripping the sides of the table you were currently leaning over. You did your best not to lash out.

"Do you know what today is, Dave?"

Your voice sounded very strained. This concerned David, but he was going to answer the question.

"It's Wednesday. Why?"

You chuckled to yourself. It wasn't out of bitterness... but more out of realization.

"You really did forget. You actually forgot my birthday. Y'know, I thought you learned a thing or two from yours and Carolyn's divorce, but obviously not. What do you have to say for yourself?" You said, turning around to face him.

David looked at you strangely. You couldn't tell what he was thinking about; the expression on his face was alien to you. His silence gave you encouragement to continue.

"You don't even have anything to say. That means you really did forget about my birthday. And don't even attempt to use the 'it was an accident' excuse, because you and I both know that'd make you a liar. It's like you don't care about me!"

David shook his head. "That's not true."

You scoffed. "Well that's how I see it. Until you can actually give me a reason for forgetting my birthday... you can sleep in the guest room for the next week."

"Y/N please..." David started.

You turned around towards the door, trying to wipe at your eyes. "I'm going over to Jason's for a couple hours."

You walked out of the bunker, got into your car, and drove to your best friend's house.

You needed some time away from David right now.

CMCMCMCM

745 words

Next update:  First Fight - Jason Gideon

Upcoming Updates
First Fight - Luke Alvez
First Fight - Matt Simmons
First Fight - Jennifer 'JJ' Jareau
First Fight - Emily Prentiss
First Fight - Penelope Garcia
Making Up - Aaron Hotchner
Making Up - Spencer Reid
Making Up - Derek Morgan
Making Up - David Rossi
Making Up - Jason Gideon