05.

Joel Dawson

as we made it to a high mountain, clyde scoped around while minnow drew on a cactus and rayven helped me load my crossbow.

"that was a- a good little workout" i said as my legs felt like jello.
"a girl huh?" clyde asked.
"yeah"
"you left a nice lil colony just to see a girl who you havent seen since you where what? 17?"
"yeah yeah, i know what your thinking. i know how it sounds crazy but, i dont know. if you knew out connection, you'd probably feel differently. we actually just got back in touch over the radio, few weeks ago and its still there. its just magical... its so sweet, she loves me too so i picked up right where we left off kinda thing. i dont know its just still there-"
"kid you ever hear the term 'fools errand'?"
"alright what? im a fool because i believe in true love?" i asked as rayven handed me my crossbow.
"no your a fool because you two are out here alone, you dont know a thing about survival, you shoot for shit, you actually got an attitude like your some noble warrior floating on the wings of love. it doesnt work like that. and also your traveling a long way to find this girl when you got one right by your side" he said as i looked at rayven and she just shook her head and looked at the ground.
"ok. super encouraging speech" i said before shooting.
"damnit" i said when i messed.
"your greening out" minnow said.
"what?"
"thinking too much. i always clear my mind and think to myself, a needle through water"
"a needle through water?"
"trust me. my dad was the best archer in my colony"
"oh okay really? then how come he isnt the one over here giving me lessons huh?"
"cause im not her dad"
"yeah my dad got killed back when we lived in the subway station. along with elliot"
"who's elliot?"
"my son" clyde said.
"oh, im sorry"
"no need to be sorry. we all have stories like that dont we?" he asked as minnow placed the crossbow back into my hands.
"hey! that was pretty close!" i said as the arrow went through the cactus.
"it was better. rayven you wanna try?" minnow asked as rayven shrugged.

she reached around her back and grabbed her bow and arrow as minnow and myself watched. she stood in my spot and released the arrow. it landed perfectly in the bullseye as my jaw dropped and i stared at her.

"your really good" minnow said with a smile.
"thank you" she said while putting it around her shoulders again.
"i'll tell you what kids, your gonna hang with us then you needa know stuff."
"yeah, okay" i said while nodding.
"first lesson, always survey from high ground when possible. helps you spot the big ones in advance"
"its nice to know that things not following us anymore" i added.
"oh no no. its definitely still following us. just saw it, yeah. chumbler. big son of a bitch too. got your scent too, its gonna be hard to shake"
"okay so then why are we still standing here?!"
"relax. chumblers arent fast. we gotta keep moving" minnow said.
"mhm. shoulda already been gone" clyde said as they turned.
"its fot my scent?"
"oh yeah it does!"

rayven ran to the edge as i followed and we saw a HUGE flesh looking monster making its way toward us. we both turned and ran to clyde and minnow as boy followed.

"where are you guys headed anyways?" rayven asked.
"to the mountains" minnow replied.
"whats up there?" i asked.
"a uh- a place called snow mountain wilderness. s'possed to be some sort of colony up there full of survivors. the uh- cold and elevation help to keep the monsters away" clyde said.
"you should definitely come with us" minnow said while looking back at us.
"well i would but you know"
"you gotta go find your girlfriend. yeah yeah" she said while moving away from me.
"minnow" i said while looking at her.
"you know if you knew you, you'd really like her. shes a super cool person"
"well she's not gonna like you cause you cant even get out of a sand gobblers nest. i just like you cause rayven is really pretty and you have a really cute dog"
"hurts my feelings"
"thank you minnow" rayven said while jumping up and following her path as they both trailed ahead.
"it just means she likes you man. she's uh- she's been through a lot"
"yeah" i whispered.

Rayven Michaels

"so annoying" minnow said.
"hey minnow" i said while following her.
"hm?"
"look, if this whole thing doesnt work, i promise you i will come find you both okay?"
"really?"
"yeah. if joel and aimee really do work out, i wouldnt want to be a third wheel with them" i joked as minnow smiled brightly.
"joel" clyde said.
"what?"
"dont. move"
"oh my god. why?"
"give me your shirt"
"my shirt?"
"yeah yeah"
"what do you mean?" he asked as minnow crouched down and pulled me with her.
"your shirt man. gimme your shirt"
"okay"
"kid hurry. come on"
"do what he says joel" minnow said from beside me.

his shaky hand slowly took off his backpack and jacket as they whispered to eachother. fear was evident in joel as he teared up and froze. they slowly started pulling his shirt up and over his head until it was off.

"just stay, very, still" clyde said while tucking his shirt into a hole.

the huge snail slugged away as we all watched in fear.

"whatcha so scared for? the older snails are nice" minnow said while standing.
"there could be nice ones?" joel asked.
"you can always tell in their eyes. just look at their eyes"
"this one probably saved our lives too. gonna spread your scent all over this hill side. that old chumbler aint gonna know which way to go" clyde said.
"so the chumblers gonna follow his with my shirt?" he asked as his voice cracked.
"thank you mr boulder snail" minnow said.
"thank you mr boulder snail!" clyde waved.

i looked over to joel who had his hands on himself to cover himself up. i choked back a laugh as i looked away.